What's new

Problems with "Route 66 Season Three" (1 Viewer)

sullum

Agent
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
27
Real Name
Sam
Last thursday (7-9), my local Best Buy had R-66 Season3 on the shelf so I took it home and have been checking it out. The eight disc set is split into "Vol. 1" and "Vol. 2". "Volume 1" looked and sounded great. But when I got to "Volume 2"...NOT ONE DISC WOULD PLAY!!! I took it back and got a second set...IT DID THE SAME THING!!!

I think my odds of getting the only two sets with this problem are pretty high.

SO BE WARNED!!!
 

TVAdam

Grip
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
24
Real Name
Adam
Yes, exactly. Mine's the same way! Actually the second half is what I'm most interested in, because I wanted to see what the new character was like. So I popped in the last disc first, and it wouldn't play. Nor would the other Volume 2 discs.

So pretty much, I paid for the complete season and only got Season Three, Volume One.
 

borisfw

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
1,544
Real Name
Frank
Crap. I just bought this today at best buy. I'll try the second volume discs tonight and see if my set is screwed too.
 

smithb

Screenwriter
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,536
Real Name
Brad Smith
Great catch. I just opened my set earlier this evening, took a glance for damage and put it on the shelf and the receipt in the trash. I watched a few episodes of Hill Street Blues and decided to check in here before going to bed. Saw this thread and quickly checked out my set. All of season 3 volume 2 came up as NO PLAY. And to tell the truth even disk 1 of season 3 volume 1 sounded rough in the player as it was spinning. They got some serious quality control issues with this one. So the early release could just come back as one big recall.

Doesn't look like a straight exchange is worth it. I wonder if they will give cash back or if I will have to take a store credit. I purchased it using an Amex points card that my company gave me. I don't know if they can credit it back with that type of card. I guess I will find out tomorrow.
 

borisfw

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
1,544
Real Name
Frank
Ok. My four volume 2 discs won't play. A message comes up and states it won't play this kind of disc. Thats nice that they will replace the defective discs. But when? Two weeks,4 weeks or two months. One way or another this is not the way to distribute an exclusive set. Dealing with Best Buy can be a pain. Not sure i'm willing to wait if there is going to be too long for the replacements.
 

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
1,951
Real Name
Willard
Now I am glad I never found the set at the two Best Buys I visited. I used my $25 gift card for Reaper season 2 instead. I guess I will wait for the general release in a few months.
 

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
451
In the entire history of TV shows on DVD, there has never, and I mean never been such a botched up job of bringing a series to DVD. Whether it was unwatchable video, wrong aspect ratio, unlistenable audio, and now defective discs, this series has had everything go wrong with it that is possible. The entire mess should be taught in the school of what not to do. It is just completely unbelievable!
 

jdee28

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 14, 2006
Messages
1,045
Real Name
John
What CBS/Paramount has done with The Fugitive, completely botching the show with its replaced music tracks, definitely gives the Route 66 mess a run for its money. Both things should be taught as examples of how to completely alienate a receptive consumer base.
 

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
5,590
Location
Florida
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by jdee28

What CBS/Paramount has done with The Fugitive, completely botching the show with its replaced music tracks, definitely gives the Route 66 mess a run for its money. Both things should be taught as examples of how to completely alienate a receptive consumer base.
And unfortunately, these are two of the most classic TV shows of all time. What an absolute shame.

Gary "geesh, of all the luck - these are 2 great, great series and both have been treated horribly" O.
 

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,386
Location
Dallas TX
Doug, John,

You guys are 100% correct, imo, about these 2 DVD releases. I'm glad that the Fugitive was mentioned as well. Also, My Three Sons (music) is in the same group.

I agree with Gary, it's plain "Murphy's Law" that this happened to these shows.

As for R66 S3, when I heard about the exclusive BB deal, I decided to wait for the general online store availibility later.

It's hard to understand how this kind of QC issue can be undectected before getting shipped to the retailers.
 

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
5,590
Location
Florida
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Doug, John,

You guys are 100% correct, imo, about these 2 DVD releases. I'm glad that the Fugitive was mentioned as well. Also, My Three Sons (music) is in the same group.

I agree with Gary, it's plain "Murphy's Law" that this happened to these shows.

As for R66 S3, when I heard about the exclusive BB deal, I decided to wait for the general online store availibility later.

It's hard to understand how this kind of QC issue can be undectected before getting shipped to the retailers.

You're 100% correct about something too, Jeff. How in the world could this issue be missed if there were any semblance of quality control at Infinity? It truly boggles the mind.

At this point in the collecting game, I've really been hit hard by "Murphy's Law", as Jeff so aptly put it. Take a look at 6 of my all time favorite shows:

THE FUGITIVE - messed up backscore. First issue of it's kind in dvd history where an entire underscore was changed up.

MY THREE SONS - same as above! Second time in dvd history it happened.

ROUTE 66 - poor prints used early on (unnecessarily, btw), and now this. Ughhh...

FATHER KNOWS BEST - poor prints used for 1st Season release. Probably hurt sales for subsequent seasons and now the show may be teetering on the edge of stall city.

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER - one of the most iconic shows of all time abandoned after only two seasons, at least in part due to Universal's horrible pricing structure.

RAWHIDE - possibly stalled or abandoned after only 3 seasons released (8 season show).

For all the fun and enjoyment I've gotten out of collecting TV on DVD, when it comes to my absolute top favorite shows, I've had far more disappointments than enjoyments.


Gary "really bummed right now at the way my favorites have been treated" O.
 

smithb

Screenwriter
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,536
Real Name
Brad Smith
It would be good to know if anyone that received this set has a working copy of the season 3 volume 2 disks. It would easier to determine if the issue is in all the sets or maybe just a batch.

Also, while my season 3 volume 1 disks would play they definitely made my DVD player work harder in the process. The noise generated while the disk was spinning was louder then normal. Has anyone else experienced this? The volume 2 disks did the same thing but the DVD player eventually gave up and gave a "NO PLAY" error.

I thought I read once about disks having problems if the weight isn't distributed properly in relation to the speed the disk spins (I could be completely wrong in this). Players will generally adjust for this if within tolerance from what I was told. Considering that all my disks made more noise then normal when spinning up and that all the volume 2 disks have the same basic label on top (and all failed) makes we wonder if this could possibly be the cause.
 

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,386
Location
Dallas TX
Gary, your list is almost the same as mine...with these being in my all-time list: The Fugitive, LITB, Rawhide.

After reading your post, I looked at my TV/DVD excel list and there sure are a lot of stalled shows in there.

On the plus side for me, I've seen a few of my all-timer's completed: Bewitched, Combat!, Dick Van Dyke Show, Secret Agent (Danger Man), Shogun (miniseries), Time Tunnel, Wild Wild West, and both WWII miniseres (Winds of War & War & Rememberance). And, thank goodness for Region-Free players Bionic Woman & 6M$M, Rich Man Poor Man releases.

As for R66, it's a crying shame that this historic show has been through the ringer....early poor prints as Gary mentioned, then that letterboxed/cropped set. It's like you've said several times, Gary: If there were a fan that was knowledgable about a certain show on staff at a studio that's in a position to influence production & marketing decisions, a lot of these problems would have not occurred.
 

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
2,817
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm glad I decided NOT to buy this set. Hopefully they'll get the bugs out of it when the general release happens early next year. Also, it will most likely be !
 

Gary16

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,407
Real Name
Gary
I watched the first 3 episodes of disc one last night and they played fine. My player didn't seem any louder than normal. I will check the volume 2 discs tonight to see if they play. Thanks for the warning.
 

jdee28

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 14, 2006
Messages
1,045
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Gary OS






You're 100% correct about something too, Jeff. How in the world could this issue be missed if there were any semblance of quality control at Infinity? It truly boggles the mind.

At this point in the collecting game, I've really been hit hard by "Murphy's Law", as Jeff so aptly put it. Take a look at 6 of my all time favorite shows:

THE FUGITIVE - messed up backscore. First issue of it's kind in dvd history where an entire underscore was changed up.

MY THREE SONS - same as above! Second time in dvd history it happened.

ROUTE 66 - poor prints used early on (unnecessarily, btw), and now this. Ughhh...

FATHER KNOWS BEST - poor prints used for 1st Season release. Probably hurt sales for subsequent seasons and now the show may be teetering on the edge of stall city.

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER - one of the most iconic shows of all time abandoned after only two seasons, at least in part due to Universal's horrible pricing structure.

RAWHIDE - possibly stalled or abandoned after only 3 seasons released (8 season show).

For all the fun and enjoyment I've gotten out of collecting TV on DVD, when it comes to my absolute top favorite shows, I've had far more disappointments than enjoyments.


Gary "really bummed right now at the way my favorites have been treated" O.
With RAWHIDE, you can also add poor prints for Season 1. Most of the Season 1 shows come from video masters. It's only Seasons 2 and 3 that were digitally remastered for the best quality. The CBS/Paramount Syndication Bible confirms this.

Maybe it's just the box that they're selling right now at Best Buy, with the discs for Season 3, Vol. 2 being just placeholders. You can get the real discs when you pay again for the Season 3, Vol. 2 set in October, or whenver they finally release it :) With Infinity, nothing would surprise me..
 

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
3,287
Location
Somewhere in Florida
Real Name
Wayne
Disturbing news. I received my Season 3 set from Critics Choice and haven't played them yet to check for these defects, but I will do so tonight. And I assume they will have the same problem since it's probably part of the first pressing.

So Infinity didn't just botch the whole marketing and release of this set with confusing information, conflicting set release dates; it's also botched the sets themselves. Which is beyond incompetent when you consider the costs they will have to incur for replacing them, just like the costs they had to incur for uncropping Season 1, Volume 2. And did they ever clean up the first 15 episodes of Season 1?

Pathetic.
 

borisfw

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
1,544
Real Name
Frank
I had noise issues with the first 2 discs of Vol 1 also. I didn't bother to check the other discs. Since the entire second volume was useless and the first 2 discs from the first vol were not playing well , i knew they would be going back to BB. I will wait a day or two to see if any news on replacements comes out. I would think this is by far worse than any other major tv release that i'm aware of. Fugitive was bad.But at least you had watchable episodes till they replaced the set.This set i just feel ripped off. I understand it was a mistake. A really big mistake by the looks of it. But come on, is there any quality control at Infinity? In response to a few of the replys above. I would have to add The Big Valley to the most frustrating stalled show. Come on, you can't at least finish off the second part of the second season before you dump it?
 

smithb

Screenwriter
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,536
Real Name
Brad Smith
Well, I just took mine back to BB and got a refund. I'll wait until they get this all straightened out and repurchase it next year. Heck, I'm only a few episodes into season 1 so I got time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
351,530
Messages
4,956,172
Members
143,077
Latest member
NGreen08
Recent bookmarks
0
Top