What's new

Problems with Paradigm 40's... don't know what makes one louder than other (1 Viewer)

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased these speakers and one speaker is a lot louder than the other. Also one sounds better. I thought it was the tweeter. I replaced it and it still sounds the same. I thought it was the tweeter because the treble sounds somewhat distorted and sounds very harsh as compared to the other one.
Is it the crossover section of the speaker that is the problem? What else could it be?
Thanks

RicP

Screenwriter
Do you have a Yamaha receiver?
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
I did all the swapping and its the same speaker. Its a Yammy receiver. I did not have this problem with my 20's.
So I basically have 3 problems with the speaker.
1) Did test tones and one sounds different from the other
2) The one that sounds different is quite a few decibels quieter
3) The speaker that is suspect also doesn't sound right in the treble section.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
First I would do all the obvious checks:
- make sure the volume level to each speaker (as you can set levels for each speaker in a surround amp to calibrate) is the same.
- if you are bi-wiring, check to make sure that connections to both the top and bottom (high and low) terminals are very secure. Wiggle them and listen for any changes in sound. If you are not bi-wiring, make sure the links provided between the terminals are all installed and secure. The best test of cables would be to swap them and see if the problem follows them.
After that, if there is still a problem, it is most likely something internal. A bad crossover part could certainly be the problem. Check the crossover yourself if you feel so inclined. It is located right on the input terminal block. You can remove the four screws and have a peek.
Look for swollen caps, burned resistors or any other damaged pieces. Take a smell too, to look for signs of any burning. Check all solder connections on the crossover and make sure they are sound. Also ensure that all internal connections from the crossover to the various drivers are secure.
If the crossover seems ok, that would lead to one of the drivers - perhaps the bass/mid.
Take the speaker to your Paradigm dealer if you are unable to figure out the problem.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."
[Edited last by Jeff Kowerchuk on November 07, 2001 at 10:53 AM]

KyleS

Screenwriter
Return it to the dealer and get yourself a new one. Seems if you have tried most of the logical things which would rule out the receiver (switching the speakers). Take it back to the dealer and have them replace the one with a new speaker or take the speakers in and hook them up to a receiver in the Dealers shop.
KyleS

RicP

Screenwriter
LOL! Even if it is a yamaha receiver, one speaker shouldn't be distorting like that...might want to swap mains and see what happens
Agreed. However, this is a common malady with Yamaha recievers. There is some sort of problem that crops up every so often that causes one speaker to play louder than the other.
If you search either here or on AA, you can see this mysterious occurance. Strange, but in almost all cases of mismatched speaker levels, the reciever is a Yamaha.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
The Receiver is NOT at fault here. Other speakers when hooked up work fine.
I've done all the checks suggested above.
I'm sending the speaker back and he is sending me a replacement speaker.
Lucky for me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks