What's new

Problematic transfer with The Day of the Jackal BD? (1 Viewer)

MacmaninSB

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey McFarland
Day of the Jackal holds up really well as the kind of filmmaking that was respectable at the time - not exciting, but compelling in a quasi-documentary style. It certainly look much better than the film did upon release.
That being said, somewhere between th 5th and 7th chapters, there is a pressing flaw which causes the sound to drop out and the image to jerk and jump. There were no visible defects on the disc and I was the first user. After checking my player I went back and the problems persisted, losing sync and jumping frames for 2 chapters, so I simply gave up, which is unfortunate as the film is certainly worthy of viewing.
Arrows has released some great features (Rocco and His Brothers, Visocnti’s Ludwig, and Altman’s Crimes of Passion in the past, but they missed on this one.
In future I will wait others to review their products before purchasing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Region "B" Arrow release and it doesn't have that defect. Also, as indicated in this review thread, it appears you might have a defective disc. I've read a few other internet reviews without any mention of the issues you encountered.

I edited your thread title to notify the membership if anyone else is experiencing those disc issues.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I also have the Zone B Arrow disc and I have experienced no problems with it. As only one person is having a problem, it's most unlikely the disc is faulty.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I own the Zone B Arrow release, too, and like the others have had no problems with it at all. Glad to have it in my collection.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The OP should either return the disc to the retailer it was purchased from to exchange for a new copy, or should reach out to Arrow directly for a replacement.

I am uncertain why the OP refuses to do so.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Another data point -- my US Arrow copy worked flawlessly. Started at chapter 4 and ended up watching the rest of the movie. Not a single audio or video gltich. It seems isolated to your disc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks