What's new

Problem with Sony BDP-S1 and DVI connection (1 Viewer)

Chris*J

Auditioning
Well, I am having issues and was wondering if anyone has experience with this issue or my TV. Here is my setup -

04 Mits WS-55413 (1080i, no HDMI, DVI w/HDCP)
Sony BDP-S1
Onkyo TX-SR605

I am running the HDMI from the Sony then HDMI -> DVI, however all this is getting me is a scrambled picture from the Sony. I am wondering is this could be a result of my DVI connection. I thought it was HDCP compliant. This is what my manual says:

6. MonitorLink™/DVI
This is a Mitsubishi-exclusive proprietary digital interface for the display of high quality digital video signals from Mitsubishi products such as the HD-5000 HDTV Receiver/Controller. All video signals, both analog and digital can be sent digitally to your Mitsubushi TV from the HD-5000. This can also be used as a DVI input for other compatible sources.
Note: The DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.

Which sounds like it is not HDCP, because I thought EIA-861 is the HDCP predecessor. However later on the manual has the following:

Input when Used With DVI
HDCP compliant
E-EDID (Enhanced-Extended Display Identification)
1.3 compliant
DVI-D uncompressed, high-speed, digital single-link connection

I just can not decide if the TV is HDCP or not. Anyone have any experience with a Mits similar to this one? Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Chris*J

Auditioning
Just an update on my issue. I disconnected the sony from the Onkyo and ran the Sony directly to the DVI. It worked great (unbelievable picture). I noticed that my HD cable box when hooked up to the Onkyo that regular cable worked fine but the HD channels were scambled just like the Sony was. Could this be an issue with HDMI -> DVI conversion for HD source with the Onkyo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks