Problem with DTS

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by LisaDoris, Feb 8, 2004.

1. LisaDoris

LisaDoris Stunt Coordinator

Whenever I play a film's DTS track, the sound will only come from the surround speakers, not the television speakers. I used to be able to adjust both but now I can't which is problematic when movies switch from dialogue to explosions. I just upgraded to a Yamaha HTR-5640 figuring this was a receiver problem (and for other reasons) but the problem remains. I have a Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player and a POS JVC TV.

Did I connect something wrong? Is this a player problem or a TV problem?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Before anyone can help you, you'll need to provide more information about how the system is connected. For example, how is the sound getting to "the television speakers"?

M.

3. LisaDoris

LisaDoris Stunt Coordinator

My player is connected to the receiver via an optical cable. The TV and player are connected via an S Video cable.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

It should not come out of the TV speakers, that is why you bought a surround system. It should be coming from the 5 surround speakers and the sub. The center speakers should sit on top of the TV and provide all the dialog. If you have problems hearing dialog you can adjust the level of the center channel.

Check out the basics area and start reading. You will start to learn how everything should work.

5. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

DTS won't come out of the tv speakers but Dolby AC3 will. If you are able to get sound out of your tv speakers using Dolby 5.1 AC3 sound your setup is fine.

Tim

6. Michael Reuben

Not with the connections that Lisa described. There should be nothing coming out of the TV speakers at all. If there is, then there are other connections she hasn't told us about.

M.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Indeed, as the S-Video connection is only for video—it carries no sound signal at all.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Your DVD player apparently only has a Dolby decoder for the analog outputs that go to the TV, a few models have a DTS decoder but its really not needed for TV audio. The only place you get the benefit of multi-channel Dolby and DTS is with the surround system using a receiver with Dolby and DTS decoders connected from the digital bitstream (optical or coax) from the DVD player.

9. Michael Reuben

All DVD players have enough of a Dolby decoder to output a stereo analog signal. But there is nothing in Lisa's posts to indicate that such a signal is being sent to the TV.

M.