What's new

Prey (2022) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I finally managed to watch this last night and came away entertained. Well done. I'd place it at #3 in the pantheon, with the original being #1 and Predator 2 remaining #2 for me. The other films? Meh. I was really disappointed that Shane Black didn't do a better job with The Predator.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Wow, a lot of ranking of Predator films in this thread and no love for Predators? Great cast, fun characters, suspense, action, cool effects... It's right behind the original for me.

I rewatched Prey, in English this time, in Dolby Vision. It looked a bit better in DV, it had that 4k pop to it, like the blue flowers in the opening scene. Despite it looking better my opinion didn't change much. The first act the audience is ahead of the characters so it was kind of slow waiting for what we know is coming. No real mystery or intrigue since we know what the predators are. And the lens choices still bother me. The cuts were too fast for that type of shooting. My eye kept having to scan the frame to figure out what is in focus and then cut! And the CGI was still a little sketchy.

The second act was a little better while the Indians and trappers were hunted.

And I still really enjoyed the third act.

I did appreciate Amber Midthunder's performance more this go round.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This sounds dumb coming out of my face but here it is anyway, The Comanche version is dubbed so it was not filmed in that language?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This sounds dumb coming out of my face but here it is anyway, The Comanche version is dubbed so it was not filmed in that language?

According to this linked article, filmed in English, dubbed in Commanche...

- Walter.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I tried the Comanche dub and gave up after 5 minutes. Was too distracting and awkward not matching their lips. Now if it was originally shot in Comanche, that would have been my preferred version.
Same here. The Showa-era Godzilla lips dubbed out-of-sync thing just didn't work for me in a film released this year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok. That’s why I asked.
When I get to this movie I’ll likely just do the not dubbed version.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched prey and enjoyed it very much. I was confused by the
Final battle. The Predator rises out of the swamp and Naru appears to have setup a trap for him. Some how his weapon kills the Predator and I missed why that happened. I need enlightenment.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: Johnny's question. Since the question was spoilerized, I'll do likewise.

Naru set the trap so that the Predator would be stuck in the bog. Knowing where the Predator would emerge, she aligned the targeting helmet so that if / when the Predator fired its missile weapon, the helmet would target the Predator. If you revisit the scene you will see the three red laser dots illuminate the side of the Predator's head. The key, of course, was knowing precisely where the Predator would be when Naru wedged the targeting helmet in the rocks.

- Walter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Re: Johnny's question. Since the question was spoilerized, I'll do likewise.

Naru set the trap so that the Predator would be stuck in the bog. Knowing where the Predator would emerge, she aligned the targeting helmet so that if / when the Predator fired its missile weapon, the helmet would target the Predator. If you revisit the scene you will see the three red laser dots illuminate the side of the Predator's head. The key, of course, was knowing precisely where the Predator would be when Naru wedged the targeting helmet in the rocks.

- Walter.
I re-watched last night and don’t understand how I missed it the first time. I only had one bourbon the first time. :rolleyes:

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So finally caught it tonite.
Amber Midthunder was great (and her dog as well, I was so worried at times ...)
Music by Sarah Schachner great as well (as always)
The original 1 and 2 are classics. The first AvP is decent, the rest sucks. Never saw The Predator, but Predators was decent.
So this latest outing? Well, I'll just leave the discussion on account on the board rules, but let's say I probably won't rewatch.
But great music.
Sorry.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So finally caught it tonite.
Amber Midthunder was great (and her dog as well, I was so worried at times ...)
Music by Sarah Schachner great as well (as always)
The original 1 and 2 are classics. The first AvP is decent, the rest sucks. Never saw The Predator, but Predators was decent.
So this latest outing? Well, I'll just leave the discussion on account on the board rules, but let's say I probably won't rewatch.
But great music.
Sorry.
I don’t know why you’re sorry, if you don’t like the movie then so be it.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, I just wish I could discuss why, but I abide by the rules, like the dude.
It had elements I liked, and elements I didn't. More of the latter.

I don't make the rules, you do.
I respect them.
That is why I don't discuss this movie.
And I'm sorry about that. It'll probably happen to more movies, and subjects, in the future. But your board, your rules.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I just wish I could discuss why, but I abide by the rules, like the dude.
It had elements I liked, and elements I didn't. More of the latter.

I don't make the rules, you do.
I respect them.
That is why I don't discuss this movie.
Wow! So you saw something political in the movie. Was it a woman being the hero and/or the evil white trappers?

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Wow! So you saw something political in the movie. Was it a woman being the hero and/or the evil white trappers?
No, it wasn't.
Like I said, she was one of the great things about the movie.

Why are you asking me this, do you want to make me say something dumb so you can ban me, or do you want to discuss the movie?
I had issues with the setup and the tone of the movie I can't express without using the w-word prohibited by you in the post I quoted, , so I won't, but I guess you make me go near it.
But no nearer than this.
I have been here long, this movie isn't worth it.
Guess I'll lurk from now on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No, it wasn't.
Like I said, she was one of the great things about the movie.

Why are you asking me this, do you want to make me say something dumb so you can ban me, or do you want to discuss the movie?
I had issues with the setup and the tone of the movie I can't express without using the w-word prohibited by you in the post I quoted, , so I won't, but I guess you make me go near it.
But no nearer than this.
I have been here long, this movie isn't worth it.
Guess I'll lurk from now on.
PM me then because I’m really interested in why you don’t like the movie. Please, don’t get defensive about it because I’m genuinely interested in your POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks