Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: Prey

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Dan Trachtenberg

Cast: Amber Midthunder, Dakota Beavers, Dane DiLiegro, Ray Strachan

Plot: Set 300 years ago in the Comanche Nation, skilled warrior Naru protects her tribe against a highly evolved alien predator.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
First Look..

Prey-.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1642186058334.png

Isn't this the 5th Predator movie? Or the 7th if you count the Alien vs. Predator films.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yep, it's the 5th, and hopefully the last. The whole premise of this one seems a bit daft to me.

I know nothing about this film and did not know it was part of the Predator franchise but the guy directing it also directed 10 Cloverfield Lane, which personally I thought he did an outstanding job with. So, I would cut this some slack just for the fact he is directing.

He made the best of the Cloverfield films by miles sort of like how Mike Flanagan made the best of the Ouija pictures by miles and maybe how Ben Wheatley may make the best Meg film by miles.

I guess time will tell...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
He made the best of the Cloverfield films by miles sort of like how Mike Flanagan made the best of the Ouija pictures by miles and maybe how Ben Wheatley may make the best Meg film by miles.
Best Meg film? Are we talking the big prehistoric megalodon? There’s been only one, and I wouldn’t have it on resume to brag on. I like to watch it but I can feel my grey cells sloughing away when I do. I can think of 3 Cloverfield movies. The one in orbit which was Cloverfield in title only and a rip off. The original, which I like and 10CL. It’s a fine movie, but it’s connection to the original is tenuous. They could have dropped the reference to Cloverfield and it wouldn’t have suffered.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Best Meg film? Are we talking the big prehistoric megalodon? There’s been only one, and I wouldn’t have it on resume to brag on. I like to watch it but I can feel my grey cells sloughing away when I do. I can think of 3 Cloverfield movies. The one in orbit which was Cloverfield in title only and a rip off. The original, which I like and 10CL. It’s a fine movie, but it’s connection to the original is tenuous. They could have dropped the reference to Cloverfield and it wouldn’t have suffered.

Yes, that Meg film. I actually have not seen The Meg and was sort of surprised when I was listening to Ben Wheatley and he said he was directing The Meg sequel. The interviewer asked him why and he said "First because I loved The Meg and second because it was a chance to do a sort of big monster movie."

When Mike Flanagan signed on to do a "prequel" to that crappy Quija board movie people turned their nose up at that and I admit I wondered why he was doing it but his reasoning was kind of the same as Wheatley. He was being given a decent budget to do a genre picture and he felt there was a good idea there to do it. I do think it was interesting that Flanagan's film is really a standalone picture that has nothing really to do with the original and is set before it in the 1970s. It's a nice little horror film.

These pictures are all B-pictures anyway and if a good director is handed money to make one with some freedom to do his/her own take, I say why not. I mean between doing a Ouija picture or a Meg film, or the 5th Predator film if they let you kind of do your own thing with it there is no reason it might not turn out to be something good.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are only two Ouija films, too, so being #1 of 2 isn't really a brag, IMO.

Wheatley is signed for The Meg 2. He hasn't even made the film yet, so I don't know how we can judge its quality. I don't see anything on his resume that indicates we're in for anything special.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There are only two Ouija films, too, so being #1 of 2 isn't really a brag, IMO.

Wheatley is signed for The Meg 2. He hasn't even made the film yet, so I don't know how we can judge its quality. I don't see anything on his resume that indicates we're in for anything special.

Yes, I don't think these guys would be bragging about doing these but some people, me included, think these guys are good/interesting directors. I agree the first Quija movie was basically lousy so being the better film of the two was probably not difficult ha.

However, a sequel to a bad film is often a worse film just done on the cheap for a buck. So, the fact that, at least I think, Flanagan went and made a good film was pretty fun.

I don't know what Wheatley will do with the Meg sequel, it's not the kind of picture he generally makes. His films tend to be comedy, horror, or dark comedy with some horror, or just dark comedy. I am a fan of his and have really loved several of his pictures and liked all of them. I don't know what he will do with The Meg 2, sort of more interested in what he was doing with Freak Shift but I will probably watch The Meg now as well as his sequel.

On this film Prey, yeah, no idea what it will be but I will see it because I really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane. The other two Cloverfield films...well...I can live without.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They could have dropped the reference to Cloverfield and it wouldn’t have suffered.

The idea there was that “Cloverfield” was the brand name, not so much that the films were directly connected. They wanted to have a series of not-really-connected sci-fi/horror tales and connecting them with a brand name was a way of standing out at the box office. Think Twilight Zone, where the episodes aren’t really related but all fall under the same production banner.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know what Wheatley will do with the Meg sequel, it's not the kind of picture he generally makes. His films tend to be comedy, horror, or dark comedy with some horror, or just dark comedy. I am a fan of his and have really loved several of his pictures and liked all of them. I don't know what he will do with The Meg 2, sort of more interested in what he was doing with Freak Shift but I will probably watch The Meg now as well as his sequel.
There are several Meg novels, so he’s got plenty of story content to work with. Oh please dump the two leads from the first movie, they were BAD!

The idea there was that “Cloverfield” was the brand name, not so much that the films were directly connected. They wanted to have a series of not-really-connected sci-fi/horror tales and connecting them with a brand name was a way of standing out at the box office. Think Twilight Zone, where the episodes aren’t really related but all fall under the same production banner.
I disagree to a degree. 10CL took place in the same universe and time as Cloverfield, what’s-his-face was hiding because of that. The one in orbit was produced as having no relationship to Cloverfield and than the relationship was pasted on. It stank and was a ripoff to those expecting Cloverfield. I dislike found footage films, but I love Cloverfield.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think the Predator coming in the time when native Americans ruled America is a logical step. I think for it to be a challenging hunt, the Predators have to dial back on their technology.

Does that horse in the poster look odd? The hump in the rear and he looks a little too thin to me.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks