What's new

Pressure build-up in a vented sub??? (1 Viewer)

PeterOS

Grip
Hoping some one might be able to help me out here. I want to find out what is the actual pressure build up inside a subwoofer, more specifically my Tempest Adire aligment. I want to do an analysis of how much the MDF moves under the pressure generated using ALGOR (its a Finite Element Analysis software).

I was on this website and thought I was sorted but what the hell is Xv???
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysde...l_analysis.htm

Here a section of it. (the equation that goes with it would paste for me)

"A speaker cone with effective area SD moves sinusoidally with a peak excursion Xc. There is a vent of cross-sectional area Sv and length Lv. It is assumed that the air within the vent moves sinusoidally as a rigid mass with peak excursion Xv"

Any help would be appreciated. I want to do up a graph of the differt Freq's against the pressure. Pump these values into ALGOR and see what it gives me. I presume the biggest pressure will be at thee box's resonant freq.

If I get it done I will post the results for those who are interested. I will also be doing a analysis of the airflow through ported vents to see how much of a difference the vents make, these I will also post for those interested.

Cheers in advance

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
My understanding is the air in the vent is treated as a "solid" slug of air with its corresponding mass and moves much like the cone of a driver.

Pete

PeterOS

Grip
Cheers for the reply Pete
Just to be clearer, are you saying the the value for Xv is equal to the volume or the mass of the vent. The equations therefore being

vol = (pie * radius^2 * length)
or
mass = (pie * radius^2 *length)*density

Ex. For a vent of radius 3.75cm (diam 3") and length 28cm (11")
The value of Xv would be 0.00149 kg (using mass eqn)

Giving me a pressure for my 214L Tempest of

76.244kg/m^3

Anyone know if this sounds right???
PLEASE REPLY

Jonathan M

Second Unit
I would say that Xv refers to the amount that that "solid" slug moves - not the volume of the air in the slug.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
i'll take a stab at clearing it up a bit. but im no mathmatics guru, so have a grain of salt.
Xv would have to be a distance. therefore as johnathan stated, it cannot be a volume or a mass. as far as i can see, the equation pete posted is frequency dependent (which makes some sense to me). the variable that looks like a W represents angular frequency. "thats just my opinion, i could be wrong" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks