What's new

Prepping for the 2002 film list (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Since 2002 is here, I guess the 2002 film list thread is right around the corner. I plan to actively participate this year, and I want to do it right. I read the discussion thread a few weeks ago about how it was going to be handled this time, but I didn't really come away with a good understanding of the format/rules of the thread or what it is or is not supposed to be.

So I was wondering, for any of us who are going to jump in for the first time, can we get a short primer on how the thread will work?

Thanks!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Ah thanks for this thread. Fire any questions or queries my way.
This 2002 Film List will be exactly like the 2001 Film List, but I'd like to have a few guidelines with each person's setup so I can track lists easier. Things like adding your last date of revision, noting what release criteria you are using, etc.
Also, we've had a lot of technical problems with the '01 List thread because of use of star gif's and graphics. What is suggested instead is to use star asterik's or simply color tags.
Overall, you can setup your list however you want, and I prefer it that way, so your list looks individual and to your tastes. Take a look through the 2001 Film List thread.
Jay

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Well, I noticed some discussions appearing at the end of the 2001 thread, and I wondered how replies and such will be handled this year. Are they discouraged?

Also, do you discourage longer comments or capsule type reviews? I noticed some of those in the 2001 thread, and it appeared they were okay as long as they were rotated (replaced as revisions are made).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Derek,

The discussions actually went on all year; the update posts and such were sort of used to bump the thread up without actually saying "bump". The administrators clean the thread periodically, getting rid of non-film-list posts. Hopefully, these beloved administrators will look at the really excellent arguments put forth for why the Film List thread should be sticky and we won't have to do this.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
About the use of star graphics:
I read concern over heavy use of graphics that slow down load times. How do the "smilies" stars work? I would think that since a use of the star in the smilies legend would point to the same graphic every time, once it loads, it doesn't need to load again, no matter how many times someone uses it in the page. Does it work differently here?
I like the little red stars. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Also, I doubt little 15x12 GIFs would slow down the load too much (except for Netscape, since all much be d/led to display page?). I'm on cable now, but even back in my 28k days, gifs were never really a slow down.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
My concern over the star gif's were not just over load times, but causing errors on editing posts as well, and I kept getting these massive gaps which looked like there were three lines of dead air; when I loaded the page though, everything was fine. A few other members with really long lists had this problem as well.
I would still suggest simply using the red color tag and typing in the asteriks.
Jay

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Hey Jay,
I got rid of all the gif/jpg files in my list tonight. I guess I never realized how annoying it was for other members until I viewed the thread from my friend's 56K modem. :)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
The main problem I have with the jpg files are that they become unavailable at times. Perhaps the hosting site turns 'em off? Dunno.

Looking forward to my first 2002 film...

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Updated my entry in the 2K1 thread as well, replacing all images with asteriks. Thanks again to Jason for maintaining/starting these threads.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I have done the same thing and kept the images to a bare minimum in both the 2001 and 2002 threads. For some reason, the 2002 thread was already loading slow yesterday.

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks