What's new

PreAmp-Decoder-DVD Hookup Options (1 Viewer)

TonyJK

Auditioning
I need some help with a very specific digital 5.1 setup.
I have a Marantz AV600 preamp, which is Dolby Pro Logic, handles 2 VCRs, and it feeds 5 Marantz mono-block amps. I do not use a subwoffer (so far). I just acquired a Denon DVD with digital decoder, and I have a HD wide-screen digital TV.
What are my optimal options for getting 5.1 digital audio from all my components (DVD, TV, 2 VCRs)?
1) Should I go with the Marantz DP870 decoder? I would have to get it used. Then I have 2 decoders, and my VCRs are not in the LOOP.
2) Should I buy a new preamp with a decoder, an expensive alternative, and then I also have 2 decoders.
3) Is there such a thing as a preamp without a decoder, but with 5.1 channel inputs from my DVD and outputs to my 5 amps?

Thanks very much for any assiatance.

TonyJK

BruceD

Screenwriter
One option is to find a used Technics SH-500D DD/DTS decoder (it's also a preamp) for $150-200 used.

This unit has a 5.1 analog passthru for your Marantz AV600 preamp's prologic output, and it provides optical and coax digital input for your DVD player (for DD5.1 and DTS5.1) as well as the 5.1 analog outputs to your amps.

TonyJK

Auditioning
Thanks very much Bruce. Looks like the Technics you recommended must do the same job as the Marantz DP870. Although it would be much more expensive, a better alternative may be to get a NEW preamp which increases the performance of the entire system. I believe that the separate decoder approach would only drive the DVD output to 5.1 surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks