What's new

Pre/Pro without video inputs? (1 Viewer)

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to go to separates, but the price seems to be prohibitive. Are there good pre/pro with DD EX and DTS ES (maybe I got my es/ex backward) that doesn't do video switching? My RPTV does that fine and I would just soon not have that video noise in my pre/pro. (Someone suggested there is a separate transformer (power supply) just for video!!)

Can this be done well for less than $3K? (way over my budget!!)

Joe

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

I couldn't get to the link. I even tried bryston.com with no luck (just a bunch of annoying pop ups).

Thanks for your help!!!

Joe

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Bryston doesn't have DD EX or DTS ES yet. Besides, the SP-1 is not under $3k unless you can find it used. I heard that when DD EX, DTS ES, and DPL II becomes available, the price is going up - probably into the mid $4k range. The correct link is www.bryston.ca There is an extra comma at the end of Phil's link.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Greg, That did it!!

Thanks. I don't know why more pre/pros don't go this way!!!

Joe

J

John Morris

You don't need to use the video inputs and outputs if you decide not to... I don't use any component video switchers but for S-video and composite it probably will have no deleterious effect other than increasing your cable costs.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John,

I was hoping to save some money by not having video switching. If not, I'll do as you suggest.

Joe

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Why not be a little patient and wait to see what people have to say about the Outlaw Model 950 pre-amp? At the very least it would be a good, inexpensive interim DTS-ES/DD-EX product until these digital interface for both SACD and DVD-Audio and also DVI/FireWire for HDTV messes get straightened out.

Dan

ling_w

Second Unit
Going w/o video switching would not necessarily save you money. Having seperate video switching usually means you are moving up higher the ladder. Just the same way you move up from HT in a box to a receiver to a pre/pro and amp.

Unless you run into a half job processor that has no option for video switching at all.

george king

Supporting Actor
I thought I read somewhere recently that Bryston was releasing a new version of the SP-1 with 7.1 support (all the standard formats) for a MSRP of $3K. I do not remember when the release date was however.

Hope this helps.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The Bryston upgrades for 5.1 channel input and the rest should be available by the beginning of the 2nd quarter at the latest from estimations I have seen. While it does go for more than $3k, I have seen new ones on E-Bay go for about $2,600 a few times. With the 20-year warranty that Bryston has, I would not let it bother me that one was used for a couple of mos. either as long as it received good care.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like there is no real advantage to me to get a pre/pro without Video switching. I also missled everyone, I was shooting for a pre/pro AND 5 or 6 channel amp for $3K. This is NOT what I wrote, I know realize.

Dan, now I see why everyone is so anxious about the Outlaw 950.

I'll not buy anything real soon. I'll have plenty of time to follow things on this board.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks