What's new

Pre-amp out / Main amp in (1 Viewer)

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don

I did a search but any threads on this subject appear to be archived. I’ve purchased some speakers that require pre-amp out / main amp in connections. Any advise on a HomeTheater Receiverthat offers this? I did see a thread listing some units that have pre-amp out but they didn’t mention main amp in. Do they always go hand in hand?

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can provide.

-Don

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't seen a newer receiver with main-in's (haven't really looked for them either), most only have pre-outs. I know there were some older receivers, like the H/K 520, 7000 and 8000 (love those older H/K's) that have both pre-outs and main-in's. Never heard of speakers that require these but there's a lot things out there I haven't heard of.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Are your speakers powered? Mind providing a make and model # on the speakers?

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I agree, the H/K units are very nice! The speakers have an active EQ that require this connection. Yes the Bose 901, which I know is a dirty word to some folks out there.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Interesting...

Here is the scenario, if you have a source, i.e. Blu-Ray 7.1 channel input using HDMI, you could then use the L+R pre-outs and feed into the Bose Equalizer but could you then feed the L+R back into a 7.1 channel input to use the internal amps? For example, the Denon 3310C has pre-in and pre-outs...

Easiest solution however, get a receiver with pre-outs and also get a 2channel amp and place the equalizer inbetween. I.e. source --> receiver --> 2 channel pre-out L+R fronts into the Bose equalizer --> 2 channel out into the Amp --> speaker wire into the Bose 901's.

JB

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don

Originally Posted by John Brill

Interesting...

Here is the scenario, if you have a source, i.e. Blu-Ray 7.1 channel input using HDMI, you could then use the L+R pre-outs and feed into the Bose Equalizer but could you then feed the L+R back into a 7.1 channel input to use the internal amps? For example, the Denon 3310C has pre-in and pre-outs...

Easiest solution however, get a receiver with pre-outs and also get a 2channel amp and place the equalizer inbetween. I.e. source --> receiver --> 2 channel pre-out L+R fronts into the Bose equalizer --> 2 channel out into the Amp --> speaker wire into the Bose 901's.

JB

I’ll admit my knowledge in this area is limited. I’m not sure if your scenarios will work. The EQ needs to only affect the main front speakers and not any others. It’s my understanding the Bose EQ will make regular speakers sound terrible and could even damage them.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Okay, I guess I misunderstood earlier (which I suppose is a good thing I didn't try to respond, hm?) But as I understand it, you need...

Main Front Pair: Player--->Receiver/Amp--->Bose EQ--->Receiver/Amp--->Speakers

Everything else: Player--->Receiver/Amp--->Speakers

Many of the older Yamaha RX-V amplifiers have eq-out/main-in loops. The Z-series all should have it. My DSP-A1, and I think the old RX-V870 have it. Just an extra 4 RCA connectors, usually with the metal bridges looping across the center terminals.

Leo

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Leo, That is correct. I have found a few Yamaha / H/K units on ebay with this feature. What i'm having trouble finding it a receiver with this feature and one that has dual front speaker support (A, B A+B). I need the "B" front speaker output to power the Polk speakers I have in the back yard. My current Yamaha has the A,B function but not the pre-amp/main amp loop and the older units ive found the the loop but not the A, B front speaker connection. Very frustrating.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Do you only need the Pre-In's/Amp-Out's for the front channels? If so, instead of the A/B speaker function you're looking for see if any of the older receivers, Like the H/K 520/7000/8000, have a Zone 2 feature. You could use that instead of the A/B to power your backyard Polks. Just a thought.

Also, some 7.1 receivers, like my Pioneer Elite 59txi, have in's and out's for the front channels only and Zone 2 for the Polks.

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Thanks Gene. Yes, I only need the pre-amp out/main amp in for the front A speakers. I have seen a couple with "zone 2" I just didnt know what it meant. Like I said my knowledge is limited in this area. So units with the zone 2 output can be set so only the front speakers and zone 2 speakers are on (and the SUB of course) when listening to music?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
as an aside, combining the loop-out to EQ and the A/B/A+B selector switch.. I don't think that'd be a good idea, unless your B-speakers also need the looped-out EQ box. At least in the Yamahas, I think the loop out is BEFORE the A/B/A+B switches. I imagine that they always are, but don't quote me on that!

Leo

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With a 7.1 receiver you can have 5.1 in the main room and 2.0 in the other room. With a 5.1 receiver it may only have pre-outs for the Zone 2 so an additional two channel amp might be needed for the Zone 2's.

NAD is a very good receiver but I'm not too familiar with their individual models. I'd love to have an NAD someday .

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don

At least in the Yamahas, I think the loop out is BEFORE the A/B/A+B switches. I imagine that they always are, but don't quote me on that!
Good point. I will need to look into that. I've read the NAD have a separate amp for all channels but i'm not sure if the "A" and "B" outputs have separate amps.

With a 7.1 receiver you can have 5.1 in the main room and 2.0 in the other room. With a 5.1 receiver it may only have pre-outs for the Zone 2 so an additional two channel amp might be needed for the Zone 2's.
Hmmmmm ... more food for thought.

byggd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don

Well the Bose 901s arrived yesterday but thanks to USPS one was destroyed so I’ll be staying with my Yamaha receiver. I still want to upgrade my front speakers though. Currently I have Bose 201s for my front speakers and very small Sony (9 year old surround in a box) speakers for the surrounds. I just upgraded my center speaker to a Polk CS2 cherry and the sub to an Infinity TSS 4000. I don’t have room for floor standing units (nor the $$). I’m considering Polk Audio TSi 200 cherry. My plan is to use the Bose 201 as the surround speakers and the TSi for the front. Or do you think the Ifinity Primus would be a better choice?

Any input on my choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks