What's new
World Wide Stereo

Pre-amp or Yamaha receiver with sunfire amp (1 Viewer)

DougEW

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug White
I'm trying to decide if I should get a pre-amp for my sunfire 5x200 amp. I would like to get the sunfire preamp but I don't have the money for it. I have the Yamaha RX-V1 reciever which is their flagship from 5 or 6 years ago. I was thinking I should be able to get $500 plus for the reciever and I could use that to buy the Boston Acoutics preamp that is being cleared out at Onecall. Will I even notice a difference going from the Yamaha to the Boston? I've been told I would be able to if I got the sunfire preamp. Should I just let the Boston deal sail on by and hope to pick up a used sunfire preamp in the next year or so?

Doug

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've also got a RX-V1 and over the years, I've had a couple of Aragon amps, also a couple of Acurus amps, several Marantz Monos. While, yes, while you may percieve a difference to try to justify the expense of the upgrade, I just could never honestly say there was a TRUE difference...... I am now simply using the RX-V1 and got over all that "upgraditis" stuff. The V1 is a real monster, and even though it is a couple of generations back and doesn't have some of the newest soundfields, bells & whistles, you will be hard pressed to get any better. Believe me, I tried.
If you do go ahead and upgrade, have a good time with it and get what you really want, and then hope that upgraditis doesn't come knocking in the next six months or so. And I also hope that dreams of the old V1 doesn't haunt you. Have fun and good luck....!!!!

DougEW

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug White
I probably wouldn't even be thinking about it if I hadn't seen the close out price on the Boston preamp. The guy I got the sunfire from said he was running it with a yamaha receiver and he noticed a big difference when he moved up to the sunfire preamp. Of course he listened to a lot of music and mine will be 95% movies. I can't believe I haven't even hooked the thing up to my yamaha and I'm already wanting to upgrade.

By the way, this will be running Paradigm studio 60's with matching studio center channel and then 2 Paradigm bookshelf speakers, don't remember which model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks