Need advice from you experts! Sunfire Cinema Grand or other $1000ish amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RichardJ, Aug 11, 2003.

1. RichardJ

RichardJ Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone -

I'm a total n00b when it comes to high end audio gear - I'm more of a HTPC/display forum kind of guy, but I'm considering speaker and amp upgrades, so I'm here to beg some advice. I currently have a mid-level Yamaha receiver that I'm ok with, but I have the opportunity to buy a Sunfire Cinema Grand used for around $1100, so the Yammy would be just a pre/pro. I'm tempted, as I want to upgrade to some Rocket speakers, and the extra power would be nice to balance out my new SVS PC+.

I guess what I need to know is whether this is an ok deal, if the Cinema Grand is a good 5 channel amp (I like that it runs cool, and has plenty of power at 8 and 4 ohm), and basically is you all think I should consider some other product, new or used, in the range of $1000... Marantz? Adcom? Sherwood? Anthem? Outlaw? I'm new to all this!

Thanks a ton!
    RichardJ

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The Sunfire cinema grand is more than capable of driving any speaker in the world to reference levels without a problem, so if you like its sound then go for it. Its a nice price for a powerful amp which might well be your last amp.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Yeah, the Sunfire is a quality amp, especially at the price that you are stating. I think that in the ~1000-1500 price range, there are so many good amps that the only way to really decide which is the best is to listen to them. Anthem, B&K, Outlaw, Parasound, ATI, Sherwood, Rotel, etc. will all have amps that have comparable specs/features, but some will match better with your room/equipment than others, so the only thing that you should consider is the sound. Also, remember, that a doubling in wattage will only result in a 3 dB increase in SPL, so the difference between a 200 wpc amp and a 100 wpc amp is only about 3 dB more from each speaker. What this comes out to be in-room is unknown, but you should definately try to demo as many amps as possible.

4. RichardJ

Chung_sotheby - good tip on the watts to SPL ratio. The Sunfire is rated at 200 @ 8ohm and 400 @ 4ohm, so I figure it would have no problem driving a 5 speaker set of Rockets, even considering the Bigfoot center.

Sounds like a deal I might jump on... but it's still a lot of cash.

Yogi said what might be the magic words, however - "might well be your last amp." Love to hear that kind of recommendation!

Cheers,
    RichardJ

5. Robert_Lamb

Robert_Lamb Stunt Coordinator

I don't know your needs, but you may want to consider that people may be getting rid of 5 channel amps as 7.1 becomes more popular. There are some new 7 channel amps or there are always separates. Even if you don't need to use 7 channels with a 5.1 processor, you may wish to biamp your mains. Something to think about for upgrades later (otherwise you need 2 more channels with a separate amp).

6. RichardJ

I've considered the 7.1 route, but I don't think that it really fits my needs right now. There aren't enough DVDs with 7.1 tracks to make it necessary, and I don't have the room for 7 speakers yet anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, though! Keep em coming...

7. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Just an FYI, we used the Sunfire CineGrand III and amp at our recent Texas audio show with a 750/200/300 set up and it was *very* nice. I really like that pre/pro and the amp had no trouble with the 30,000cu' room.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

Regards,

Sean