What's new

Power Switch On Adcom GFA-5800 (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
The power switch on my 8 year old Adcom has given up. Pressing it does not do anything; it continually stays on, unless I unplug it from the wall. Two questions:

1. Is there any harm in simply plugging it in and unplugging it as opposed to using it's power switch?

2. Would this be an easily replaceable item if I were to order a new switch and open up the amp?

Thanks...

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Funny you should mention this...

My Adcom 555 amp did exactly the same thing.

Depends on your definition of "easily". Many amps use power switches with spade lugs which would of course be a snap. Sometimes, they use switches with solder "ears" which would require you to solder/unsolder wires to the switch. Finally, it could be PCB mounted (rare, expecially in larger power amps) which would require soldering and possibly some mechanical disassembly. You should be able to see which type you have by removing the amp's cover.

Beware that Adcom may charge you a hefty markup on what is probably a common switch. I would guess that you could find an equivalent replacement from Honeywell, Tyco, C&K, or Cherry through a distributor such as Newark or Digi-Key for just a few dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks