What's new

Popping sound from speaker at high volume (1 Viewer)

Todd Iglehart

Auditioning
Hi, can anyone please help me as I am new to this home theater stuff. Just bought speaker and a reciever.

SB-3 SS-1 SC-1. Klipsch all 100W speaker
Yamaha 5660 85W per channel.

When watching a movie last night there was an explosion and I heard popping noises from the speaker. The explosion was in the movie not my house!
Why did this happen?
I turned down the volume and it did not happen again.
The volume was not really that high the first time when it did happen thought.

Is this clipping and if so why did 100W speakers clip with only a 85W amp?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

andre-k

Agent
hmm sounds like clipping to me but maybe its your connection. DId you use good speaker wire?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Is this clipping and if so why did 100W speakers clip with only a 85W amp
It is easier to clip speakers rated at 100WPC with a 85 WPC amp than it is with a 150WPC amp.

Basically you are overdriving your amp, especially if you are running your speakers as LARGE and not crossing over the low frequencies to a powered subwoofer. What happens is that when you have a loud explosion, the amp has to tap into more power to reproduce that sound. It will stress the capacity of the amp. This will produce distorted or clipped sound. Now, if you had a 150WPC amp, you would also run the risk of blowing 100WPC speakers if you constantly played the music/movies at loud levels, but because the amp has more power capacities, it also has more headroom, meaning it's easier for it to reproduce the quick transients in many movies or musical segments like the explosion you mentioned.

Basically, running a 85 WPC amp on 100WPC speakers means that your speakers can handle the power, but not the distorted sound produced if you play at very loud levels.

Running a 150WPC amp on 100WPC speakers means that there could be occasions where the speakers cannot handle the POWER of the amp, but there is a much less chance of distortion produced by the amp. Also, in most cases, 100WPC speakers can handle way MORE than their rated power, but only for quick bursts...like the explosion you mentioned. If the whole movie was one big explosion, you could blow them, but for a quick transient, I highly doubt it.

In your case, you either need to play it at lower volumes or get a beefier amp.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Sounds to me like the mids are being over driven. With the coil/spider slamming the back of the magnet.

Try running your speakers as small. Or turn down the volume as noted.

good luck.

Todd Iglehart

Auditioning
I tried the small and no luck. I did notice that the popping is only coming from the front right?

Maybe a bad speaker?
I just got this system wed, so maybe its a bad speaker?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If you are running small and are still getting popping out of the speaker, I would have to say you have a defective speaker as you would not be pushing the drivers too hard in that scenerio. Especially if it's only coming from one speaker, that's the guess I would take.

Todd Iglehart

Auditioning
I am going to swap the speakers tonight to verify if that is the problem. Also swap the wire to see if thats it.

That should let me narrow it down to a speaker, wire or reciver problem. Ugggg
Then I have to mail back to brandnamez and wait 2 weeks to get it replaced.
Damn.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks