What's new

Popeye the Sailor: Volume 1 (1933-1938) 7/31 (1 Viewer)

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
A must buy for me! Last year I introduced my granddaughter (6 years old) to Popeye -- she loved him. I'll get this set for her birthday in October.

Way to go, Warners. Have all the Looney Tunes box sets and can't praise them enough.

Hopefully, we'll get the Tex Avery stuff soon.

John

Corey

Screenwriter
OMG, I love how they're gonna promote this set. I guess when a set is this expensive you have to generate as much revenue coming in.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's the same MSRP as the Looney Tunes sets and comparatively the same price per disc as MGM's Pink Panther singles and Disney's WDT sets. So, retail will end up being $46-48, which is still a steal ($12 a disc, 15 cartoons + features).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I hadn't scrolled over. My bad.

Can someone tell me from what website or publication that trade ad came from?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
All shorts properly remastered and restored from the original negatives, and then this little gem from the sales sheet: "This compilation is intended for the adult collector and may not be suitable for children"...

Makes me cry that Disney are unwilling to treat their library with the same kind of respect.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
This is magnificent, but I'd give my left arm and leg for the equivalent Betty Boop set.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I'm very curious as to what content isn't suitable for children. I've only seen this series on TV so I'm sure there's stuff I've missed, but I can't imagine what that might be. More violence perhaps?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I have the impression that when Looney Tunes or this Popeye set run the disclaimer "not suitable for children," they're referring to some of those moments that could be construed as racist (or not politically correct in some manner.)

It's ironic, because the entire lesson Popeye teaches isn't suitable for children OR adults -- i.e., the best way to solve problems is to grow muscles and beat the crap out of whoever's aggravating you. :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I'm fairly sure it's in reference to the violence. There's a bit of sterotyping in Popeye Meets Ali Baba, but that never kept it off the air. It's really funny to see how many Looney Tunes were edited for violence on TV, yet Popeye usually aired uncut (besides colorization and AAP titles).

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
So you would describe Bluto trying to beat Popeye to death and rape Olive Oyl as simply "aggravating" them. I think the "lesson" of these films might be that you shouldn't be a bully or a rapist. They are also extremely funny and probably the best cartoon shorts of the 1930's. Maybe you should stick with Disney cartoons if you seem to be upset about the "lesson" of cartoons.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Disney was the first major studio to release DVDs of classic shorts with politically incorrect content accompanied by an appropriate disclaimer via their Walt Disney Treasures line. Prior to that, they had released some of their features in a censored form, which I hope they rectify at some point.

Regards,

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
It was probably a little premature to put the declaimer on this Vol.I set. You'll need it for the Vol.II set, which will contain (hopefully) all the WWII shorts depicting negativity towards Japanese (short "You're A Sap, Mr. Jap" is a good enough example).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
So if you believe that eating spinach turns an old, scrawny sailor into some kind of Superman, and that beating up people is the best way to solve problems (even though the problem is back again in the very next cartoon), go ahead. See if I care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks