What's new

A Few Words About Poll: What parameters do you seek for 4k UHD releases? (1 Viewer)

Where do you stand on how closely 4k discs should, or should not appear film-like? Or do you care?

• I want my 4k discs to all look like the original releases of Patton and The Longest Day

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • I want my discs to perfectly mimic the appearance of film, with all attributes properly represented

Votes: 128 87.7%
  • I want my disc to appear film-like, but with original grain replaced by something less apparent

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I perceive myself as bi-granlar, and will accept anything

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • I enjoy seeing digital amoeba swimming in neutral backgrounds

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I’m totally uneducated when it comes to the look of film, and don’t care

• I’m moderately educated when it comes to the look of film and don’t care

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I’m very aware of what film looks like. I hate it and want my 4k discs to appear fully digital

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I like seeing different forms of digital noise appear and disappear on an image

• I feel that 2k Blu-rays are all I need

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I feel that 2k Blu-rays are all I need, but would purchase 4k with newly mastered Blu

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • I perceive myself to be bi-granular. I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I voted what just about everyone voted for, but what strikes me in a positive way when I watch a UHD disc is the contrasts (I don’t want something to look like mush, like the original BluRay of A Clockwork Orange), and I look for colors (the UHD of The Sting seems to be much more colorful than the original BluRay). Grain- doesn’t matter in a huge way to me, but I noticed how little grain there seemed to be on the Alien UHD, even though there isn’t a lot of well-lit scenes, and the video didn’t seem to be de-grained. A fantastic accomplishment.

teddyballgame

Auditioning
Real Name
Tedrick
I'd like for Paramount and anyone else seeking to minimize grain or "take a little off the top" to please stop that. Stay true to the medium and let it be natural. You're not being clever trying to thread the needle seeking a compromise between film purists and mainstream digital seekers. Too many titles have come out looking unnaturally clean and it throws off the presentation for me.

Minimalist1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
The main thing I’m looking for in 4K releases is expanded dynamic range and color. Resolution is not nearly as important to me as 2k in a 65” OLED at 9 feet away is still great. If I already have a good blu ray version of the film and the 4K version doesn’t expand much on that then I generally don’t bother upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks