What's new

Polk vs NHT, Guru Input Requested (1 Viewer)

Johnny K

Auditioning
I am entertaining the following speaker systems to go with my Onkyo 501 receiver: Polk RT28i X 4 with a Polk CSi30 center vs. NHT SuperOne X4 with a SuperCenter from OneCall. Due to lack of scratch, I plan to put off the purchase of a SW. While I understand that this question has limited value, unfortunately it is very difficult for me to audition speakers since I live in Dogpatch, USA. I did here the SuperOnes' about two years ago and they were pretty cool. While were at, must I get identical front and surrounds to properly listen to new recording formats ie, SACD and DVD-audio. I suspect 80% music listening vs movies.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend the Polks, I have some of the previous models to the series you are looking at and all I get is compliments when friends are over watching movies.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I've never listened to the NHTs, but I've got a set of the previous generation of speakers your looking at in my 2nd system. (RTi25 and CSi245) I love em and listen to lots of CDs and DVD-Audio as well as DVDs on them.

I'm sure you'll be more then happy with the Polks :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For 80% music, I'd have to say the NHTs. More musical to my ears. Without a sub, however, you will be missing out on more than half the music, since these guys have very little low bass extension. The Polks will win in terms of bass. Paired with a sub though, the NHTs would get my :emoji_thumbsup:

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi , not sure if you bought your polks yet but dont. go with nht and if at all possible het the evloutions i own them and dam they blow away anything in that price or higher. one thing though they like to be played loud . no joke the louder you play them the clearer they sound. go listen dont take my word for it. i have them about 8 months and smile every time i put them on. it alos took home theaters choice award for new product , and best in its class. and that was after i bought them. i couldnt be happier. just go listen u will be amased. frankie

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I agree with Frank 100% and then some. He is right about playing them loud. I always have a little grin on my face because I got so much more speaker for my money. If nothing else, just go listen to them, they are definitely worth an audition.

Doug_E_P

Grip
NHT's - no brainer if you do plan on adding a sub at some point. Much more musical than the polks in my opinion. Not to say the polks are bad. They will have more bass, however they won't be as accurate. I've got some upper end NHT's (st-4's, sb 2 rears and sc 2 center) great set-up.

gregD

Second Unit
NHT is my preference also, particularly for music... I've recently auditioned their latest Evolution line and am impressed... of course, that is strictly opinion... Polk's are certainly decent, and may be a little easier for your Onkyo to drive... if at all possible, try for an audition, even if it means a little traveling outside of, uhhh, Dogpatch.

If you're very serious about SACD/DVDA, you should try to match fronts, center and surround as best you can, within budget... hi-res multichannel is designed to go to 5 matching full-range speakers, but this is impractical for most people... while a dead match all around is not absolutely necessary, I'd strongly advise it at this level.

To get the most out of hi-res with reasonably-priced speakers (ones that won't necessarily handle the lowest freq's), you'll certainly want a sub sooner rather than later... and possibly an outboard analog bass management system, if you want to maintain the most accurate signals (otherwise, you can rely on whatever BM the Onkyo does in the digital realm, with some signal degradation).

Happy hunting.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Johny,

Spring for 3 nht evolution m5s up front (and then add a sub). In the back add 4 sb2's and you have a killer 7.1 system. I acutally had the m6's and took them back becuase the m5's were smoother..before this I had nht 2.9s and an ac-2 up front. I feel the evolution m5's are a step up from an allready great speaker..(I also have the b5 bass modules for my l/r).

Steve-sas

Agent
POLK! If the RTi28s are anything like their predecessor RT25i they are a wonderful speaker - Yes for MUSIC too! - Stereophile thought so in a review HERE. The reviewer rates it one of the best sub $1,000 speakers he has tested. (No, Polk is not a big Stereophile advertiser) I have these mated with a Denon DRA-685 stereo receiver in a music only setup and they sound very, very good (even without a sub - although I use one I have listened on many occasions without it and the RT25is go pretty low and still sound nice). I also use a pair as rear surrounds in my HT setup and again I am very pleased. Based on all I know, the RTi28 is the same speaker except it uses a silk-dome tweeter vs a tri-lam in the RT25i. I have not heard the NHTs and I am sure they are good speakers. However, I don't believe you will be dissappointed if you choose the Polks! I'm not.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the RTi28s, I'm a proud RT25i owner also and think Polk's bookshelfs are incredible for the size and money. Audition both though, I'm sure the NHTs are also great speakers.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys , as i said before listening is a matter of taste. both polk and nht are great speakers i happen to perfer the nht line. i have the whole evloution set m5 and b5 towers , i also use the sb1 fir 7.1 in the rear . with the setup of the b5 towers and the crossover that comes with it you can dial any amout of base u desire. it is truly a great system you have to hear it to believe it. before i bought the system, i listened to polk, definitive, energy, and paradin's the blew away them all especially when you turn the vloume control up and i mean way up . i couldn't believe my ears how clear and crisp they were. i looked at many speaker some costing 3k a pair and nothing came close to nht (evloution series m5 b5 tower). i used the same cd(money it's a gas) to listen to each speaker i auditioned.
i currenlty have 125 watts to each speaker but i am planning on mono blocking each one at 200 watts ( or if i can find a good 5 channel amp at 200 watts i use that instead. my head unit it pioneer elite 39tx . all i can say is go listen. at a 4k price tag for speakers take your time and just listen to what grabs your ears. frankie

WilliamC

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I'd go with the NHT's. However these speakers are power hungry and will sound best only if they are fed the right amount of power. I don't know if the onkyo can deliver that i doubt it. If possible try and get seperate amplification for the NHTs if you go with them. I'd try and audition both at home. That way you can see which sounds best with your enviroment.

Hope this helps.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
between those 2 choices, only, i'd have to say the super1s

but you do realize that the new polk monitor series hits the shelves very soon, eh?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
In case you guys missed it.. note the dates on the above posts... alomst a year ago :)

Since this thread has been drug back up... Johnny what did you get and how do you like it?

ben_fowler

Grip
NHT gets my vote. the SB2's are quite nice. They are a little brighter and more detailed for music, without being overly sibilant or fatiguing. Of course, you should just try them both out in your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks