What's new

polk speaker newbie owner needs receiver -please advise (1 Viewer)

Raa Vango

Auditioning
Hello

I am a newbie and NOT an audiophile. I was in the market for a HT sytem and I bought a Polk speaker system from our local audio store because it was on a good deal and the sales guy was raving about it. That is how much I know.

The speaker package is

2 Polk Monitor 30s
2 Polk Monitor 40s
One Center Channel Polk CS1
One Polk PSW10 Subwoofer

Can you audio gurus kindly suggest on the following

1 - What receiver should I buy to drive these speakers. It is 5.1 now but I will try to expand later. 5.1 receivers are fine but 6.1 or 7.1 suggestions are also welcome. Please suggest a high end and low end receiver if you can!

2 - Also, should I replace any components of the above package with an upgrade in speakers, center or subwoofer to get better quality. (I can always sell the above components individually because they came in individual boxes)

I live in an apartment, the TV room is 18x18 but 22x22 if I include the dining room and kitchen which are kind of combined with this living room.

I am looking for a good value receiver but if you think there is going to be a quality difference and long term value please suggest high end stuff also. If not something in the same range as the above speaker system would be fine.

Thanks a lot for your help! I promise to contribute when I become an expert on this stuff.

Personally, I've always liked Marantz and Denon receivers, though Yamaha also makes some fine sounding equipment. It would be helpful if I knew what kind of music/movies you typically listen to or watch, how loud you like things to be, and your budget. But I'll take a stab in the dark anyway.

I'd check out the Marantz SR-5600 or the Denon AVR-1906 (around $500 to $550); or if you can stretch the budget a bit more, the Marantz SR-6400 or Denon AVR-2106.

If you're looking for a unit that you'll be happy with for many years to come, you might even think about the Marantz SR-7400 or Denon AVR-3805. You can find them for under $800 right now, but they were originaly $1,200. If you really need to keep the cost down, then take a look at the Denon AVR-1706 ($400 to $425 if you look around), or the Marantz SR-4400, which can be found for even less.

You can also find some good deals on factory refurbished Marantz gear at www.accessories4less.com

We're all biased in our opinions, bit I don't think you can go wrong with these two brands. I've owned Marantz in the past and was very happy with the product.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Another vote for Denon gear. However I've also had a number of Onkyo components and have been happy with all of them. For that matter you'll find a dozen brands with good gear and a legion of folks ready to swear by each of them.

Westly T

Second Unit
I really like Denon gear too, I just popped for the AVR-4306, and probably a bit more they you want to spend. I also have Polk speakers, the RT series. I recently listened to the monitor line of speakers and found them to be "Muddy" when compared to the RT line. To my ears they sounded like very efficient, but not nearly as clean or refined, They reminded me of other low end budget speakers (DCM for example). I didn't see enough cost difference in the two lines to consider the monitor series, but I'm guessing it won't take a lot of power to run the speakers you got. The speakers are not bad and do sound better then the other low end value speakers like the DCM's, but just are not as good as the RT line. I think the RT line are a better value overall is all I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks