What's new

Polk rm6600's or Def Tec pro cinema 200's f&r, c2 center, 100 sub, what is better? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Just wondering what speaker set would produce a better overall sound for movies (50%) and music (50%). I will be getting a denon 3802 or similar quality receiver to use with these.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
The Polk 6600's us a 3.25" woofer and .75" tweeter in a 6" tall cabinet. The PM200's use a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter in about a foot tall cabinet. Physics say the Def Tech's should sound better. Although look what Bose has done with small speakers.

Sarcasm aside, I demoded both of them and by far the Def Tech's sound better. They are also in different price brackets. The Polk's are $650 and the Def Tech's $1200. Look at the RM 7600 if you want a fair comparison. I actually ended up going with the Def Tech SM350. Not as deep of base as the 200, but a cleaner clear sound to me.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I had the procinema 100's and really enjoyed the sound from those little sat's. The bass is nowhere near bookshelf speakers though. I would suggest bookshelf monitors if you can get away from the sattelite speakers. If not, then Def tech can't be beat for a sattalite set-up.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for responses! I can go for bookshelves speakers with no problem, but then what bookshelves in a similar price range would equal or outdo the DT 200's? I know this is subjective, but I need some ideas.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Now your talking...
Paradigm minimonitors, Axiom M3's, GR-Research AV1's(kit)
many many more. All will have more output in the 30Hz-60Hz range due to the enclosure.
Others will chime in with their opinions. You can also do a search for bookshelf in the speaker area.
in fact, look at this thread going on now:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=59869

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
Todd; I also got the procinema 100's.I have them wired the way DT recommends which is via speaker level and lfe.Mains large and sub yes.They say you get the best of both worlds.I get plenty of bass wired this way.I really don't know how they compare to bookshelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks