What's new
World Wide Stereo

Polk Audio? (1 Viewer)

Ritchie T

Agent
All right, I had a dilema about which speaker system to get. But I finally realized I might as well just buy all the speakers seperately.

Im on a major budget so this is what Im thinking. Right now Im debating on whether or not to get the R30's or R50's. Will the extra cost by getting the R50's really benefit me?

This is the rest of my planned setup:

CSi30
R15
PSW404 (or should I just go cheap and get the 303's?)
Denon 1803 (or does anyone have another recomendation?)

And by the way, what kind of stands should I get for the R15's? And also what kind of speaker wires?

I was also thinking about an infinity setup, which would consist of this:

Entra Center Two
Entra Two Towers
Entra One Bookshelf
Entra Sub Two

Im leaning towards the Polks right now, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

728x90

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am currently using r30's up front,a csi20 center, and r20s for the rear. I could not be happier with the sound on a budget that I have. If you don't plan on a lot of 2 channel listening then the r30s will be perfect or even the r15's all around. My only suggestion would be to avoid the polk subs. Good sound but none reach below about 30hz. For the same price there are several options available for you. I currently have a Velodyne cht-150. A little more expensive than the polk 303 and 404 but night and day better imho. Get ready though. The upgrade bug is biting me to pick up a polk lsi setup. The budget is growing daily so hopefully very soon.;)

Guy Robinson

Agent
I have 2 RTi70's as mains, a CSi40 as a centre and 2 RTi38's as surrounds. This is an awesome system and I am extremely picky when it comes to sound. I can hear nothing wrong with this setup. I mainly play DVD-Audio and SACD on it with the odd movie. I suggest that you spend some more money and get something better than what you have listed. I have had a lot of those speakers over the past few years and ended upgrading. I am not suggesting they are not good I am just suggesting that you would be happier looking a little more upscale, especially if you are going to use it for music. I also have a 12" Polk sub that I find more than adequate. My walls shake and my shirtsleeves literally vibrate with the bass. If I had anymore bass I would be in trouble. I have the system installed in my basement in a room 12 feet by 17 feet.

JamesKr

Agent
The newer Polk RTi/CSi series speakers are a great sounding series, even better than the R series. The RTi series utilize a new silk/polymer dome tweeter technology. I have RTi38 bookshelfs for the front, RTi28 bookshelfs for my surrounds, and a CSi30 for the center. Although the CSi30 is very good, I will be upgrading it to the CSi40 soon as the 40 is better matched to the RTi38 speakers. This makes an incredible setup when paired with my Denon 3803 receiver. Give these speakers a look before buying the R series.

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to toss in that I full-heartedly agree with James. The rti system is great. I'm currently using two rti38s up front, a csi40, and two fxi30's in the rear and I couldn't be happier. I feel like an ad, but they really do bring the theater to your home. I can't say that about some other setups I've tried. Thankfully, the rti38s do a great job on music as well. No, they aren't going to fill your dance hall with thumping bass, but they are an accurate, clear, detailed performer with just enough bottom end to be convincing. The midrange on them is outstanding.

It's a very natural sounding system and I think that's part of the appeal to me. It feels like I'm hearing the performance without artificial coloration. And the sound system is able to capture that feeling of "if I just close my eyes it sounds like the performers are right in front of me." I definetly recommend it.

Ritchie T

Agent
Thanks for the advice guys. I would love to go for the Rti series, but like I mentioned earlier, Im on a major budget. Im looking for something mediocre and affordable right now. This is going to be my first real home theater system, so I guess I gotta start off somewhere.

But so far from what I can afford, how is the lineup? OR should I go with the infinitys? Or anymore recomendations?

Oh, and is there anyone else that suggests I get a different sub? And what other subs should I look into?

And can someone give me advice on the wiring?

Thanks again!

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I would still consider the RTi series, the way I see it, they are in the mid end of speakers and what you are considering in the polk line are their low-end (albeit prob. still descent) Don't worry about buying everything at once. Peacemeal is O.K. to do. You might want to consider your reciever first, then the front L/R. Deal with stereo for a bit, then add center, then L/R surround and then sub. I personally buy the quality retail level interconnects but that is a whole diff. subject. I go with the Monster XMS (I think this is the Abb.) 16G dual shilded for all my speakers w/ monster gold bannanas. IMO, it is worth every penny I have put into it so far, and it can only get better.

Look at slightly used stuff. There are great deals here in the forum and on ebay. I have a reciever and soon DVD and possibly RTi600 fronts for sale (but not why I posted, if you want more info email me)

Good luck in whatever you do. I put my stuff together a little at a time, and it is well worth it then getting a low end system when you basically KNOW you are going to want to upgrade. To me, I would rather do it at a slower pace, researching things and trying not to duplicate too much. Mistakes can be made, but even if you do a minimal amount of looking around you should be fine. This is a way to save money in the end and have a system you are proud of.

Good luck,

Ed

Miklsan K

Agent
Richie,
If you like Polk, but can't quite swing the RTi stuff, you might want to look at purchasing the R series stuff from Circuit City. They have a one year upgrade policy that allows you to apply the full value of the older speakers to an upgrade. Could be worth it for someone in your situation. Good luck! Mike

PS - I own an LSi rig, and I love them.

Jowell Hanson

Auditioning
I have the rti package now.

rti70
csi40
rti38
psw450

I really am happy with it. I'd like to get a little more bass umph, and the upgrade bug has me itchin for the entry level svs sub.

Anyway Ritchie,
You want my psw450? I got it as an open-box CC floor demo. I'd sell it for less than the 303 new.

Ritchie T

Agent
thanks for the replys. I was thinking of doing the Circuit City route, but Im not too excited about paying sales tax. I do however find the trade in policy good. But I was thinking of getting a Velodyne CHT 10 from there. So I was thinking about going through Crutchfield for the polks, especially since the speakers Im looking into are on sale.

Honestly, I kind of doubt I will want to upgrade, these speakers are for my parents...who know nothing about electronics, but need something for their karaoke. Im just looking into something for movies and video gaming. I may just use the setup for music once in a while if I have nothing better to do.

Oh and by the way, will these speaker wires be good?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=100-155&DID=7

Is 12 the correct gauge I will be needing? The surrounds will be between 15-20 and 30-35 feet from the receiver.

And what kind of sub interconnects will I be needing?

Thanks

JamesKr

Agent

Ritchie T

Agent
Update:

I ordered the 12 gauge Soundkings for my fronts and 16 ga ones for the rears. Theyll be going through some home depot plastic wall tubes.

I already ordered my setup from Crutchfield,

Rti38's
Rti28's
Csi30
PSW404 ( I wanted to go for the velodyne cht-10s, but I wasnt sure about paying the extra from circuit city (the tax and the $100 5 year warranty, Ill give the 404's a listen, and if not, I might go for the cht10's)

I recieved most of my orders from crutchfield, but Im still waiting on the center speaker, a pair of stands, and my wires. So no pics yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks