Polk Audio Speaker question...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeDP, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MikeDP

MikeDP Auditioning

Jul 23, 2006
    Hey all, first time poster here, found this site on google. Here is my situation. I own a YamahaRX-V650 7.1 Reciever. I want to have the best quality sound I can with these speakers.

I dont have all the model numbers but this was all picked up as a set. I have Polk Audio Floor Towers, Center speaker, 2 R15 bookshelves and the subwoofer.

Basically what I want to know is can I purchase 4 more of the R15 bookshelves and use a set as Surround back, a set as the Surround Speakers, and a set as the presence speakers? If so is this a good idea? If not what do you guys suggest?
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

Sure you can do this. In fact, it is encouraged that you make all your speakers be from the same make/model to get tone-matching.

But you can lay down some big $$$ for side/presence speakers that only produce sound a bit of the time. This is the draw back.

Before you go to the expense, make sure you have done all the placement tweeks like using a laser pointer to adjust the angle, an SPL meter to level adjust things, play with the sub position to get good/smooth bass response, etc. These should all be done first before sinking more money into more speakers.

Hope this helps.