What's new
World Wide Stereo

polk audio r50 79 $ each (1 Viewer)

galette

Auditioning
Hi everyone,

I need to buy new speakers and i found this speaker Polk audio R50 at 79 $ each i think.

The description is not clear (each or pair)

the website is outpost.com

this is a good deal ? or not ?

thanks for your help

728x90

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For those who don't know, Outpost.com is Fry's website. They regularly have the R50's on sale for $79 each. I've often seen the R15 bookshelves for $49 a pair in there adds. At those prices I think that's a very good deal indeed. O.K. so there not as good as the RTi's but they are also about 1/4 the price. Only problem to me with the R series is the center channel (CSi20?) is a little small to me. As for the R50's, Circuit City was asking $269 apiece when they carried them last year so $159 a pair from Outpost is pretty good.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Sure that's a good price...the thing is, the Polk R series is pretty awful, the R15 is the best out of the bunch.

If you're going to use the R50s as surrounds that should be OK, as fronts they'd be pretty lousy esp. compared to say the Athena AS-F2s which go for $400/pair shipped from audiadvisor.com

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree the R series isn't up to par for most of us around here, but I wouldn't call the R50's "awful". They are certainly better than the comparably priced offerings from Sony, Pioneer and KLH. Keep things in perspective price-wise. Those admittedly better Athena's, as well as stuff from JBL, Infinity, etc. cost over twice as much so they should be better. As I said before, the center is the weak link to me. And R50's as surrounds? Way too big. Unless you used them for fronts as well. But that would make the punny center seem even worse. If Galette is just looking for a couple of stereo speakers for around $150, the R50's are decent enough. And the price is right.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
True, at $150 a pair you can't complain too much.

I fell for the same price thing when I bought a pair of R20s that were going for $70/pair at CC on Black Friday. Had to immediately relegate them to my bedroom where they replaced the OEM speakers of a Sony minisystem. The thing is, no I can't complain too much considering how little I spent but if I hadn't gotten lured by price alone I would've been much happier if I had spent a little more and gotten say the Athena B-2s for about $200-250/pair.

So it comes down to marginal cost/benefit---for me there is a lot bigger difference between a $200-300 pair of speakers vs. a $100 pair than between a $1000 pair and a $600 pair.

The kicker is that CC used to sell those R20s for something close to $200 a pair! Just goes to show how much of a rip-off their regular prices usually are.

All the same, if Galette is looking for some mains for his primary system that he'll want to keep around for more than six months, spending a little extra up front IMO is worth it. If the R50s will be used for a secondary system's mains then sure why not.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Looks like how they are going to be used is the big issue here. Reading Galette's post, I thought he was looking for an in-expensive stereo setup. Then the R50's @ $79 apiece is a good deal. But if he's looking to start a "system", even a secondary one, then I'd suggest he look elsewhere because of that center channel problem I spoke of earlier. Otherwise Eddie, I agree with all else you have said. It's just that "awful" part I can't come to grips with! :)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
you have a point, I am sometimes guilty of hyperbole, and in this case it's probably because I've been so spoiled by my Ascends.

Steve*W

Agent
WOW, some people REALLY dont like polk audio around here. They've done no wrong by me, infact I just added a pair of R15 for my rears, and couldn't be happier.

One thing I will say is that I think they have a cleaner high end on them this year(the RTi series), compared to my CSi30 from last year.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Frys the other day. These speakers are aweful. They're struggling when played loud. Thin sound, lack of detail (distortion). Well, you can't ask for much for that price.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
I just got a great deal @ my frys for the r15 for 39.00 a pair and the r50 for 79.00 a pair. I will just keep them in storage for now,, since I am really happy w/ my Rockets

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
well anyone could give an opinion on them vs the infinity primus 250s?

they are the same price...

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Primus series blows Polk's R series out of the water, except the R15 may be better than the Primus150, but don't quote me. My cousin has Primus 250's they are pretty good for the price.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
okay well then i won't feel like i missed a better deal going with the primus' i am going after work to pickup!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
This thread is a year old guys. I seriously doubt you will find these speakers anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks