What's new

"Pokemon 3" pan and scan only- STRIKE 3! 3 Strikes, you're OUT! (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Sigh, why was I not surprised to look at the back cover of the "Pokemon 3" DVD and see it ONLY contains the "Standard Version- Formatted to Fit Your Screen". Yet it also includes an audio commentary- just who are they marketing these discs to??? Did anyone actually buy the first 2? What am I going to do if I end up leaving my job at a movie theater, and DVD becomes the only way I can see movies like this?
You know that when the kids these are bought for are older, they ARE going to want widescreen versions.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I think the first two in the series were also pan & scan, so if you add this up with Wonka and Cats&Dogs that would make this strike 5.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I am sure all the kiddies will just eat up that audio commentary
wink.gif

------------------
Help urge Fox to release Terror Train on DVD Uncut!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003324.html

Rob T

Screenwriter
well even though it's Pokemon, I still got to say that is wrong. no feature filmms on DVD thathave been made since the creation of widescreen should be subjected to a pan & scan transfer.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Okay, this is Pokemon we're talking about. So, for clarification's sake, are we talking about this on principle, or does someone actually care? I mean, I care about Willy Wonka and Cats and Dogs becuase they both have wider appeal, but com'n, Pokemon?
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I will add my voice of concern on principal. All films, no matter the content, should have an OAR presentation on DVD.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
It completely amazes me with the marketing from Warner these days. They treat "family" movies with pan-n-scan only stating that these people ("family") don't know about OAR, but (as someone stated above) include an audio commentary.
Warner truly doesn't understand their customers. What a shame.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There is no line to draw. They should all get OAR.
My family is not Pokemon-oriented (my son loves Digimon instead).
But, if he WAS a Poke-lover, we wouldn't be getting him the MARred Poke-discs. And that's that. It's all the same: No OAR = No Sale!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Lafe F

Second Unit
It's never too early to educate the young ones about the beauty of OAR.
For those interested, you can buy all three Pokemon movies in a DVD 3-pack!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Nate: Where does one draw the line to say what film doesn't deserve a presentation in OAR?
I have to agree with this one. I don't care for Pokemon and it would the last DVD I would even consider buying. However, I feel all films should be preserved in their OAR, regardless of what it is. BTW, when are getting a widescreen Mannequin 2: On The Move?
crazy.gif

------------------

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I agree with the sentiment that ALL films should be presented in their OAR.
The problem with "Pokémon" is that there's a lot more wrong with the movie than a mere pan-and-scan transfer. I don't know about the two sequels, but the first movie was completely dubbed, re-scored and re-edited for American release. I can certainly understand the need for an English dub for the young ones, but there's no reason not to also include the original audio track on DVD, where dual audio tracks isn't a problem, and there's no excuse to further muck with the film.
If it was presented properly on DVD, I would have bought the first "Pokémon" movie. But there was just so much wrong with it, it didn't seem worth it to even bother. We might have been able to convince Warner Bros. to offer a widecreen version, but there's no way they'd have given us the original edit, score and dialogue on top of that.
[Edited last by Carl Fink on August 28, 2001 at 07:56 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, David, Fox apparently did the same with their DVD release of "Digimon: The Movie", which was hard-matted to 1.85:1 theatrically (or so I'm told).
Digimon:TM is originally 2 direct-to-video specials, so their OAR was compromised theatrically, not on home video. The OAR is 1.33:1
Jeff Kleist

Alvin Lau

Agent
The problem with "Pokémon" is that there's a lot more wrong with the movie than a mere pan-and-scan transfer. I don't know about the two sequels, but the first movie was completely dubbed, re-scored and re-edited for American release. I can certainly understand the need for an English dub for the young ones, but there's no reason not to also include the original audio track on DVD, where dual audio tracks isn't a problem, and there's no excuse to further muck with the film.
Part of the reason why the first movie was re-scored and re-edited is because (as the informative and highly amusing commentary points out) is because there are actually several newly animated scenes in the US release of Pokemon: The First Movie that didn't exist in the Japanese release. If the director and producer can be believed, the Japanese creators of the first film gave the changes a big thumbs up after attending the American premiere.
I actually enjoy Pokemon (got all the DVDs, movies included) and despite the fact that the movies are pan 'n scan, they're still fun to watch. I'd much rather have a widescreen anamorphic version, of course.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There may have been legal issues with having the Japanese version on the same disc (though if it is available in Japan, it would be nice to get here!) but there's simply no excuse for it being only in pan-and-scan (or "Standard" format as they keep calling it, even though that makes no sense.)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
quote: I actually enjoy Pokemon (got all the DVDs, movies included) and despite the fact that the movies are pan 'n scan, they're still fun to watch. I'd much rather have a widescreen anamorphic version, of course.
[/quote]
The Japanese R2 disc has both the dub and the original track on it, as well as an anamorphic transfer. It also has English subs(dubtitles) which are unfortunately only able to be activated when the English track is on.
On the subject of the US discs having a Japanese track, the #1 hurdle outside of Warner refusing to do it even if they could (I promise that would be their answer), According to what I heard from someone who worked for I think Viz(we were all drunk :) Nintendo US wants them to keep the fact that it's Japanese as hidden as possible, hence the overlays, name changes, etc etc
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on August 31, 2001 at 01:16 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks