What's new

Pod race or chariot race? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I assume we are talking Ben-Hur vs. Episode I?
If so, Ben-Hur by a mile. Digital effects are no match for real sets and live action.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Considering that you're putting up a CGI laden, cartoonish scene in a so-so film against one of the greatest scenes ever captured on film, it's not much of a fight. I'll take the chariot race.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Pod race? POD RACE? Ben-Hur is my favorite film ever, I can't even bring myself to mention that George Lucas film in the same breath, the same post as Ben-Hur, suffice to say Ben-Hur's chariot race is still the greatest most thrilling action sequence in the history of movies, IMHO.
smile.gif

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Well either because a) I'm a freak
smile.gif
, b) I had seen Episode 1 before ever seeing Ben-Hur, or c) seeing Episode 1 last night with my new sound system, made me like the pod race more. The chariot race is really amazing. I'll have to see it again and this time on my new system.
Now, without comparing it to Ben-Hur, did you think the pod race was exciting?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The pod race was definitely one of the highlights of Episode I and really fun, but the Jedi lightsabre fight at the end was easily the most thrilling sequence of the movie, methinks.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
The pod race was an extremely well done homage to the chariot race in Ben-Hur. However, while it "wows" with exciting visuals it doesn't even come close to eliciting the emotions I feel while watching the chariot race in Ben-Hur.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad someone else mentioned that the pod race appeared to be an homage to the chariot race in Ben Hur. Knowing that the Chariot Race had real elements to it makes it more tense and realistic than the pod race. That being said, I loved the pod race!
smile.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Interesting, I never really thought that the pod race was an homage to 'Ben Hur'. So, in what scene exactly does Charlton Heston lose his power couplers? Link Removed
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Oh, come on! The Pod race is just a cutscene from a rather poor computer game called Star Wars: Episode 1, there to satisfy the Nintendo generation. Those horses were real.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I enjoyed TPM but the pod race was not good. It was too long and repetitive without a hint of tension or drama. I'm voting for the chariot race.

Denward

Supporting Actor
I saw Ben Hur for the first time this past summer. One of the old movie theaters in town that seats about 2000 (now normally does smallish live music concerts) was playing old classic movies on weekends. Ben Hur on the Spoiler:BIG WIDE SCREEN was incredible.

nousername

Supporting Actor
The pod race is great, but just knowing that real people and animals were used in the Ben-Hur chariot race--now THAT's an achievement that deserves to be in a class by itself.

nousername

Supporting Actor
I also agree with Andy_A: the chase in The French Connection is incredible, especially when you discover how they actually did it. I won't give it away; you just have to rent/buy the DVD to see for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks