What's new

Pneumatic stapler for MDF? (1 Viewer)

Larry Alan

Auditioning
I see everyone just glues their MDF for speaker projects. I have a pneumatic narrow crown stapler that really holds wood together almost as good as screws. The staples are about 5/32" wide and I have 1 1/2" long staples. The surface wound is very minimul and depending on air pressure, usually goes below the surface, leaving a tiny spot to fill.
Another question: Will ratchet straps work in place of the bar clamps. I have several ratchet straps but no long bar clamps. I was thinking of glue, staples, and straps for my project. Any thoughts?...................

Larry Alan

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i would def try on scrap MDF first, see how it works, as for strap clamps. I think it would be rather tedious getting everything aligned.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've used bar and strap. I use strap when holding a whole box together because i don't have enough larger bar clamps. Just use a few layers of coragated cardboard to keep the straps from rounding or digging into your MDF as it can under high pressure.

I also use brad nails in conjunction with glue with good results.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
If you use staples, nails, screws or brads for joint strength, then you're perhaps misinformed. They are not as strong as a good-fitting joint and carpenters glue. You'd be wasting materials and time, including filling in the holes and sanding the filler flush. I use a brad nailer on very large cabinets, to hold pieces in alignment - not for joint strength. I use band clamps (the "Merle" band clamp from MLCS) for cabinets, augmented with a few bar clamps.

JarrettVance

Auditioning
I've used a pneumatic finish nailer with 1.5in nails for all my boxes. 3in nails, unless carefully shot, will most likely come out the sides of your box. I glue then clamp and nail. You can save time this way because you don't have to wait for the glue to dry before you take the clamps off. I also add liquid nails to the inside of every corner for extra strength and seal. Finally, fill the holes with wood patch, wait a little while, then sand with a random orbital sander.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
We build most of our stuff with glue and staples. With MDF the only advice is not to shoot the staple parallel with the edge and stay about an 1 1/2" from the ends.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks