What's new

Pls. help me decide where to put surrounds!! (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone,
We are building a new house soon and I am trying to decide where to put the rear surrounds (in-ceiling). Unfortunately, the TV/stereo is going to have to go in a corner. As far as I can tell, there's really no other way to work it.
Here's a diagram I made.
carrington.jpg
(the red circle)
Any recomendations for this setup? Do I have the rear surrounds in as good of a place as I can? Or will this be too wierd and will the surround sound be all messed up? If this room doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to forget the 2 rear surrounds for now and go with a 2 channel setup (but I'd like to somehow know before I install the in-ceiling speakers and find out they don't sound good).
Thanks for any advice/input you may have.
FWIW, the room is 16x21 and the couch will be about 12-14 feet from the TV.
Aaron
[Edited last by Aaron H on September 04, 2001 at 10:44 AM]
[Edited last by Aaron H on September 04, 2001 at 10:46 AM]
[Edited last by Aaron H on September 04, 2001 at 07:14 PM]

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
It looks like that is the only thing you can do. I'm still fairly new to HT but i've heard that bipolar surround are more forgiving in placement, so you might want to try that. That's all I have to offer you. Maybe someone else here has a better suggestion.
Good Luck.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Aaron: we dont seem to have permission to see your sketch.
You should hit the local library and look for back-issues of "Sound and Vision". A few issues ago, they took some "challenged" rooms and ran them by 3 different installers to try and solve the problems. (This included corner-position TV's and "L" shapped rooms).
Several of them recommended ceiling-mounted or in-ceiling speakers for the rears.
Will it sound good? No and yes.
I say "No" because everyone agrees that speakers sound better with a few feet of space around them. Mounting them in the sheat-rock prevents this.
I say "Yes" because critical sounds from movies do not go to the rear speakers. So having free-standing rear speakers would only be a marginal improvement.
I would also recommend that you wire for 3 rear speakers: dont forget the rear-center speaker when you upgrade to Dolby Ex.
Placement: I'd try putting a spot over the central listening position, then draw a circle to the back and try and mount the speakers along the arc of the circle.
Brands: Everyone seems to shy away from reviews. Even the magazines are careful to only compare in-walls with other in-walls. But based on brand names you should look at Definitive Technology, Niles and Home Theater Direct.
Good luck.

WillP

Auditioning
I have no advice for your surrounds, but if you click the link and then put a space after it, for example
blahblah.jpgSPACE it should work. It did for me, anyways :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks