What's new

PLIIx Cinema decoding of Dolby Digital 5.1 Sources with Denon AVR 3805 (1 Viewer)

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
I have a problem with my new Receiver, Denon AVR 3805. When I play a DVD encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 (connected to OPT1 input) and try to use the Surround Back speaker I only get PLIIx Music and can´t get PLIIx Cinema as an option. Of course SB Channel is set to on.

Each time I press the Surround Back button, SB CH OUT changes from OFF to NON MTRX, then to MTRX ON, then to PLIIx Music and then to OFF again. I never see PLIIx Cinema as an option.

When I see PLIIx Music and I press Cinema button on the Remote Control it doesn’t change to PLIIx Cinema.

Same results if I try to change it from SURR PARA (Surround Parameter) Menu.

All of the above occurs only when Dolby Digital 5.1 sources are played. Both, PLIIx Cinema and PLIIx Music are available options and work OK when I play a source encoded with PCM or Dolby Digital 2.0.

Does somebody knows how to use PLIIx Cinema decoding with DD 5.1 sources in the AVR 3805 Denon Receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Octavio

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Octavio,
I have the Denon AVR-3805 receiver and have been using the DPLIIx Cinema successfully. As a matter of fact it is my default.
I can press either the "Music" or "Cinema" keys (touch pads) and toggle back and forth.
I do not understand why you can not do the same.
If no one else on this forum can help you, I highly reccomend that you call Denon directly.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Alan:

Thanks for your answer. I also can use PLIIx Cinema and press Music or Cinema keys and go back and forth, BUT ONLY FOR SOURCES ENCODED WITH PCM OR DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0. That is, no problem if I listen to a stereo CD or DVD.

However, for DVD encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 only PLIIx Music is available.

Thanks

Octavio

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Octavio,
Now you have me wondering.
I will test this out tonight. I will have to schedule this around the final round of "American Idol" that my wife has already planned on watching though.
I will let you know what I find out.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I don't know about the denon but with the yamaha you have to set the ex/es to on. I have 3 settings for ex/es (auto/on/off). If set to auto you cannot use PLIIx cinema, you have to manually set it to ON every time. When I shut off my yamaha, it reverts back to auto. Auto only works with flag encoded 6.1 DVD's.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
I have my Denon 3805 set to DPLIIx Cinema such that it is the default when ever I turn my system on. The receiver remembers the settings accordingly, and adds it on top of what ever the base decoding is (Dolby Dig. 5.1, DTS, or otherwise).

Al. Wise

itai

Stunt Coordinator
I dont have a dpl-2x reciver (but a 3802), so i'm only gessing:
With a dd/dts signal, the system locks to that procesing.
dpl is available as an option with stereo sources.
when a dd/dts dvd is playing, the 3802 wont switch to dpl/neo6.
Also, with a dd stereo signal coming from the dvd player, through the optical (digital) input, I cant select dts-neo6. The system is locked with the prologic. I'd have to connect the dvd to the reciver with analog cables as well, and choose that input (hassle).
Am I correct, or living in my own, 2 years ago technology?

:)

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
You probably need to set the SB ch out flag to do
PLIIx decoding by default. It should be on the menu...

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Itai: one difference between DLPII and DPLIIx is that the latter allows Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sources to be played in up to 7.1 channels. When I do it I only get DPLIIx Music and not DPLIIx Cinema. According to the Denon AVR 3805 manual both versions should be available.

AlbertA: OK, but how can I coose PLIIx Cinema as the default. I don´t find it in the menu.

Thanks, both of you for your help.

Octavio

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Octavio,
I was able to play with this last night on my 3805. I played pieces of several DVD's as well as HD-TV and my PLIIx stays on "Cinema" as I thought. I then decided to remember how I got this set up in the first place When I go to the "Surround Parameters" function on my remote, the on screen menu comes up with PLIIx at the top right. The speaker configuration pictorial takes up the whole left side. While keeping you curser at the top right, togle through with your left and right arrows until you get the "Cinema" parameter shown. It should actually toggle through "Cinema", "Music" and "Game", and if I remember correctly, "Off" (I am fuzzy on that one). I simply selected "Cinema" and hit "Enter" until I got out of the parameters and back to my viewing. Another thought though, remember when starting up a DVD, the beginning, before the movie actually gets going, does not play in Dolby Digital, or PLIIx. You have to get all the way through the Disk set up before it will allow the Dolby Digital and PLIIx Cinema to take over. It starts out as PLIIx Music. I believe this is true regardless of the system manufacturer, or settings used. The Yamaha RX-V640 I had prior to my Denon used to start out with PLII Music(no X available)prior to the start of the actual movie. Once the movie started it would change over automatically to Dolby Digital 5.1. Could this be your problem?

Good Luck, Al. Wise

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Go to the System Setup menu, then to the
speaker setup menu and finally to the surround sp setup menu. The entry dolby/dts cinema should be set to A or B or whatever you have.

On the surround parameters menu, you should be able to select at SB ch out parameter, PLIIX cinema. It should remember that also as your last entry.

I got this off the manual for the 3805, I don't actually have it. But my denon 2802 is similar.

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Roger: If you select "yes" to the Default option you mentioned, everything gets back to the factory settings.

AlbertA: On the Surround Parameter Menu, the SB Ch Out parameter only gives me PLIIx Music as an option (PLIIx Cinema is not available).

Alan Wise: Last night I did some changes in the parameter settings to see if I can solve my problem.

I found that if the Surround Sp. Back parameter is set to 2 speakers on the Speaker Config. menu, then PLIIx Music and PLIIx Cinema (among others) become available when I play Dolby Digital 5.1 sources. In this case, I only have to press Surround Back button to change from PLIIx Music to PLIIx Cinema (optionally I can do it changing the setting of SB Ch Out on the Surround Parameter Menu).

But, if the Surround Sp. Back parameter is set to 1 speaker on the Speaker Config. menu, then only PLIIx Music (among others) is available when I play Dolby Digital 5.1 sources. In this case, I can't choose PLIIx Cinema because is not an option.

Then, I concluded that PLIIx Cinema decoding for Dolby Digital 5.1 sources is possible only under 7.1 speaker configuration and not under 6.1 speaker configuration.

Now, I wonder:

1. Is my unit defective, or the conclusion above is valid to every Denon AVR 3805 Receiver?

2. I only have one surround back speaker, and of course I want to use it when I watch Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded movies. Then, should I set speaker configuration to 7.1, that is to 2 Surr. Sp. Back (though I only have one sp. back) and choose PLIIx Cinema?, or should I set speaker configuration to 6.1 (1 Surr. Sp. Back) and set SB Ch Out to Matrix On (named Dolby Digital Ex) on the Surround Parameter Menu? ¿Would there be a difference between these options?

3. Would I miss some sounds from rear if I choose PLIIx Cinema and 2 Surround Speakers setting, but I'm only using one surround back speaker?

Alan, I appreciate your interest and help. Thanks.

Octavio

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Octavio,

Sorry I did not pick up from your first post that you were using only 1 back speaker--I could have saved you a lot of fooling around. But hey, you are now an expert in navigating the Denon menus!

>>Then, I concluded that PLIIx Cinema decoding for Dolby Digital 5.1 sources is possible only under 7.1 speaker configuration and not under 6.1 speaker configuration.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Octavio,
Roger hit the proverbial nail on the head. To take advantage of PLIIx "Cinema" you need a 7.1 (2 back speakers)speaker set up.
Just think Octavio, you have something to push you towards buying one more speaker.

Keep us informed.

Al. Wise

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Roger, Alan:

Thanks for your help. After your last posts my mind is clear about this issue, and as you said, I'm now an expert in Denon Menus and have something pushing me to buy one more surround speaker. Thanks again.

Octavio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks