What's new

Please help me with my s-video connection options! Advice needed! (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
So I bought a new cheap 32" tv to use for about a year when at that time I plan on buying an HDTV or projector. The tv, the Sharp 32U-S50 has only one s video input, but I have two s video sources (a dvd player and a Playstation 2). So the way I see it, I have 2 options and I need advice on which one I should choose. Keep in mind I am an ultra tight budget right now.
1. I can buy a 1 meter Better Cables Silver Serpent s video cable ($60) and run it directly from my dvd player to my tv. Although, every time I want to play the Playstation I'll have to unhook the dvd player from the tv to hook up the Playstation's s video cable.
2. I can buy two sets of 3 foot AR Master s video cables ($80). Then I would have the dvd player use one s video cable to run to my receiver (a Sony DA5ES) and run the Playstation 2 s video to my receiver and use the another AR Master s video cable to run from the monitor out on my receiver to my tv. Make sense? I hope so.
Does the Sony DA5ES do a good job with video switching?
So what I need to know is what would the better option will be? Should I go with the supposed better cable, the Silver Serpent or the more convenient option of the $20 more AR Master cables?
Your opinions are appreciated!
James

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Option #2 is more common. The feature of video switching is there just for this type of problem. My system has a SVhs VCR, 2 PVR's, an XBox and a DVD player. All run video through the receiver.

Most receivers handle this type of video switching just fine. It's only when you start pushing Progressive or HD signals that you need to make sure the receiver can handle the bandwidth needed.

The AR series of cables is very good for the money. While the BetterCables would be nice, your 32" TV is just not sensitive enough that it would make a difference. A projector with a 80" display - different story.

james e m

Second Unit
"The AR series of cables is very good for the money. While the BetterCables would be
nice, your 32" TV is just not sensitive enough that it would make a difference. A
projector with a 80" display - different story."

Bob...
With that said, would I be just as well to save some more money and go with the AR Pro cables over the AR Master cables? On that tv will I see a difference between the Master cables and the Pro cables? Thanks for your input.
James

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you will see any difference with the Pro vs Master cables. Both have a good reputation with more people owning the Pro cables because they are available from places like Best Buy.
Remember: cables cannot/will-not improve any signal. It can only cause damage.
Take a look at the posting by Stephen Hopkins in this thread He actually cut apart several cables and found the AR cables to be quite well built.
Good Luck.

james e m

Second Unit
Bob,
Thanks for your insights! I really, really appreciate it. I think I may go for the AR Pros because they are less money and you seem to think the Master series won't make much of a difference for me.
James

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I often recommend the AR Pro series or even Radio Shack cables for modest systems. Your equipment could benefit from a cable made by the various custom houses if it moves into the "sensitive" area. This means any one of:

- Display size greater than about 40"
- Long run of cable greater than about 10 ft
- Pushing Progressive or HD video signals
- Display is HD/HD Ready where it will up-convert the signal

So keep this in mind if you ever upgrade your display.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks