Help with PJ connections

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AaronHA, Mar 10, 2006.

1. AaronHA

AaronHA Auditioning

Hey everybody. This is my first post and first of all, thanks to everyone here (via the seach function) for the insight and help in home theater. Your knowledge is pretty staggering. I am new to this stuff and this forum has been invaluable in helping me get started.

I am getting the infocus 4805 PJ and my question is this. Which inputs should I use for which device? The 4805 has the following inputs: 1 Component, 1 S-Video, 1 Composite & 1 DVI. Which should I use for the dvd player, the sat. dish receiver (eventually) and a PS2? I'm just not clear which input is best suited for which device. I realize there is flexibility in this but I'm not sure which is the best way to go.

My first instinct is to just do the following:
    dvd player to PJ using the component inputs (or should I use the M1 adaptor?)
    PS2 to PJ using the composite inputs (or is there a better option?)

At this point I am planning to use the PJ for mostly dvds. Later this year I intend on getting a satellite dish again but that's not til this fall when football kicks off. So, right now it's pretty much exclusively just for movies and PS2 games.

Any advice would be great. If you need more info to give me an answer please let me know.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Aaron,
    welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

I currently have an Infocus 4805 on it's way to me (upgrading from the Infocus X1) and for me the choice was easy, like you, I mainly watch dvd's and as soon as I read that the 4805 had a DVI input, I immediately decided to buy an upscaling dvd player.

In case you aren't familiar, an upscaling dvd player will upconvert your dvds to 720 progressive lines of resolution or 1080 interlaced lines of resolution and deliver the image to your projector as a straight-up and pure digital-to-digital stream, completely eliminating any sort of analogue conversion (that's what traditional dvd players do to the signal before it ever reaches your monitor, so even though dvd's are digital, they aren't delivered to your monitor that way) from the equasion.

If it were me, I would look into an upconverting player, the one i'm looking into is the OPPO DV971H and from everything i've read it's a great player for it's price of $199.99. I would use that on the DVI interface, the satelite I would connect to the componant if possible and the s-video I would use for the PS2, that's me, though.

OR, if your audio receiver offers componant switching on the back you could run both the satelite and PS2 into the reciever with componant cables and then out to the projector, that way BOTH will be delivered to the PJ via componant.

But if your main source for entertaiment is dvd and you have the 4805, I highly recommend using the DVI.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. AaronHA

AaronHA Auditioning

Thank you very much John. I appreciate the help. Funny you mention the Oppo. I was actually looking at that too as I am trying to put all this together. Its received so many good reviews for the price. I wasn't sure if it would suit what my needs are but apparently it will. And thanks for the component switching explanation. That will help me out a ton. The onkyo TXSR503 seems to fit the bill and it's not too expensive... Although I really don't need 7 channels...but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Thanks again

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Your very welcome. [​IMG]

It's so funny, if you end up getting the Onkyo 503 and the OPPO, we'll have pretty much identical HT systems because I just bought and installed the 503 LOL. It's a GREAT receiver, btw.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

I would reserve the DVI connection for your satellite dish if you are going to get HD programming via dish. It should have HDCP protocol for HD material.

Unfortunately, the Oppo does not put out a 480p signal via component out so that will not work best for satellite or DVDs.

You may want to consider getting a separate DVI or HDMI switch so there is not issue in the future with sending HD material to your projector.

The Panasonic 77 or 97 might be a better long term investment at an affordable price.