What's new

Please help me tweak my Yamaha 1400 with my speakers. The different setups are tuff! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok just got my yammie 1400 with my Paradigm Mini monitors as mains my cc370 center my atosm for surrounds and a hsu vtf-2 sub. I was trying to tweak the different settings myself but this receiver is a headache. It has these different values for GEQ and all that and I have no idea what each value mans and which sounds best. Also I have not tried the ypao but I have heard different opinions on this. Where is it where I can find the eq where you can set it at front, flat,low,high and ect. My room is 15x12 with 12 foot ceilings can anyoen give me suggestions on what to do and what to try on the setup options to get the best sound. Can anyone be nice enough and give suggestions on whats the best way to tweak my system and have it sound good. Some people say use the ypao and some peopel say it has not made to bid of a difference. Some people do the ypao and then further tweak it thmeselves..

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
First step is to get a Rat Shack SPL meter and get your hands on a calibration DVD (Avia, sound and vision, DVE). Check out the FAQ in the Basics area for instructions on how to use them and descriptions of each. I think you should check out that area in general as it will answer many of the question you have. The calibration will balance out your system for you. Using the SPL meter and frequency sweeps you can find peaks and valleys in your system which you can use the EQ to calm down after the intial setup.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Eddy,

First you need to realize that YPAO consists of 2 different EQ modes:

1) Parametric EQ which has auto-mode only (no manual adjustment available).

In addition, the parametric EQ let's you select from a number of auto-operational modes like the "front, flat, low, high, etc." that you mentioned. These simply focus the effects of the auto-parametric EQ in specific frequency/speaker areas such as;
front=focuses on the front speakers
flat=focuses on flat frequency response
low=focuses on low frequencies
high=focuses on high frequencies

2) GEQ (graphic EQ) which can be adjusted manually, but it's EQ functionality is less precise than parametric EQ. This is similiar to a traditional "tone" control for bass and treble.

I don't find GEQ to be that useful most of the time, but what works best for you is what matters most.

It's not easy to guess which will work best in your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks