What's new

Please help me find this chair (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I am looking for a chair like my mother had about 5 years ago. If I knew the name of it I might be better able to find it, unfortunately I don’t know what it’s called. So far I don’t believe it is called a futon although it is similar.
Basically it’s cloth (denim or corduroy would be nice) wrapped around three large pieces of foam. Two pieces of foam are approximately 3’ W x 3’ D x 8 or 10 inches H. The other piece is approximately 3’ W x 1’ D x 12 or 18 inches H. When folded it forms an armless, frame-less chair (stays together with hooks on the side). When unfolded it becomes a 6-foot long mattress with an attached pillow on the end.
I want two of them for my daughter’s room. They are perfect because they are light, easily moveable and can take abuse without breaking. More importantly they make an adequate bed for sleepovers and are surprisingly comfortable to sit in. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think you should try some searches under "convertible beds" or convertible chairs:
I found this one:
http://www.seaford.co.uk/thorndalefu...s_sofabeds.htm
Take a look for the "Joanna" although I know the kind of convertible chair/mattress you're talking about and it's a bit simpler than that "Joanna" model but it appears that the Joanna is similar in function to what you describe.
My sister has a loveseat that she got from Pier One that the mattress folds out onto the floor to be used as a bed. It's super light in that really only one person with moderate strength can lift it by him/herself. But it's a loveseat when folded and has armrests... You might also check out ikea.com they seem like they would sell something like that..
Jay

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
EDIT: Damn, Jay...beat me to it! It must be a slow day at work for you, too. :)
Furniture On The Web calls them "Studio Chairs", though I don't remember ever hearing that term before. I don't have any experience with that vendor, but they were one of the first results from a Google search for "folding chair bed".
They're listed under "Guest Sleeping Accessories", and they aren't cheap. Doing a Google search for "studio chair" should hopefully get you more results, though.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Just threw two in the trash a few weeks ago. They were probably ten year's old and the foam inside had just broken down. I never found them very comfortable to sit on, but they were convenient if I had people sleeping over with nowhere else to put them.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
These were quite common when I was in college in the early '90s. We always called them flip-n-f*cks, but now when my wife or I see them we call them flip-n-sleeps (at least when the kids are around). :D

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Jay and David,
Thanks for the replies. That is the chair. I knew I could count on the collective knowledge of the forum to get the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks