What's new

please help me find 2 styx cd's... (UPDATED: Albums now available!) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm trying to find THE SERPENT IS RISING and MAN OF MIRACLES.
both are albums by STYX that i think may only be imports. but none of the sites i have checked seem to have them.

anyone have any good sites that have hard to find or out of print cd's for sale.

on the serpent album you will find what might be called an easter egg now.
at the end of one of the songs is an uncredited ditty that is a reggae sounding song about a plexiglass toilet. it's true i have the lp, i just want the cd's.

if you have kazaa or one of those programs like it search for that song. it's funny.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks jeff.
i found the 2 cd's in there but , well that's a confusing website to me.
is that one store or a list of many stores.
i found many listings of both of those cd's with many diferent versions and "sellers?" available.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
GEMM is a giant list of stores, Tony. It's a "clearing house" for lots of independent records stores around the world - which is the beauty of the site. It does make the process of searching/ordering a little confusing until you go through the process one or twice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well resurrecting old thread.
the first 4 styx albums are now available as one double cd set.
these are the Wooden Nickel label records.

this is good for anyone who wanted these without importing them.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for the tip.

I will have to get this set. I already have the 4 CDs but this set has an extra track that appeared in an early 80's reissue of Man Of Miracles called just Miracles. The track Unfinished Song replaced the track Lies.

I am hoping they did a better transfer and the audio quality has been improved.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
jeff as i mentioned earlier. these are/were findable as imports.
what i didnt mention but you gave us a link to, was that you could also find them local, online but for a premium price.
from that link, man of miracles "starting from $56.00"

no thanks.

according to the liner notes on the new set the "unfinished song" was also a b side that was never on vinyl version of the origional album.

i'm lucky enough to have had all 4 wooden nickel labels of these.
now i'm glad to have the cd's for less then $20.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
oh, glad to finally be able to listen to plexiglass toilet again without having to "find" it.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
How the sound quality on the Wooden Nickel set? If I have the original 4 cd's should this be a manditory upgrade?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think this set sounds very good.
but my quality expectations are not as critical as some on this board.

i didnt compare to the other cds.
i only have the first 2 and havent listend to them in years.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I just got this 2 disk set. I did some initial comparisons and I haven’t yet determined if it is better than 4 previous CDs, but it is different.
I first tried some songs from MOM since I consider it the best of the four. The new version is quite a bit louder. This makes it difficult to compare as you have to try and equalize the volume between the discs.
I then tried some songs from SII and TSIR, TSIR has less of a volume difference but it still sounds different. I need to do some more listening but overall the new discs seem to have a better balance. I find on the older ones that the vocals are often overpowered by the instruments especially the bass. The bass is definitely toned down a bit. There seems to be a bit more clarity as well. Vocals don’t seem as flat sounding.
Another thing that suggests there may have been a remix is that on Lady, there is a bell that sounds. On the old disc it is on the right channel on the new it is on the left. It may be that one just has the L & R channels reversed though.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Those were some of the first LP's I ever bought (I think I was 12)when I was going through a Styx obsession circa 1980. Wow, haven't heard 'em in decades. May have to pick this set up, for nostalgia's sake. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks