What's new

Please explain Yamaha's Cinema EQ to me (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Im trying to figure out what exactly Yamaha's cinema eq settings do on my RX-Z1. There are seperate settings for the L,C,R/front effect/Rear L R/& Rear CT-that part I can figure out-However, once one of the speaker groups has the cinema eq turned on, then its the 2 settings that become available within each speaker set that Im having trouble figuring out.

The 1st setting is a high-shelving equalizer with 1.0khz-12.7khz settings with a gain setting of -9db-+6db

The second setting is a parametric equalizer with 1.0khz-12.7khz settings with a gain setting of -9db-+6db

Each one of the speaker groups have the above 2 settings if the cinema eq is activated for that speaker group. Any help is appreciated!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m not sure I get the question, Ted. Are you saying you don’t know how to use the equalizers, or that you aren’t sure if you need them?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Im sorry if my question was vague. i want to know what the high shelving eq & the parametric eq does exactly-in laymans terms. The manual says the high shelving eq is to "set the turn over frequency" & the parametric is for the "band central frequency", but these explanations are over my head :frowning:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The “high shelving EQ should more accurately be called a high frequency shelving EQ. The frequency you select is called a “turnover frequency.” This means that (more or less) all frequencies beyond that point are raised or lowered with the dB function. Basically, it functions just like a traditional treble control, except that you can adjust how much of the high frequencies it affects.

The parametric EQ is a bandpass filter. This means any frequency you select is a “center frequency,” and response will rise or fall on either side of it (creating a “hill” or “valley” in response), depending if you set the dB function to boost or cut.

The manual has response charts, which are better able to make sense than a written explanation.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks