What's new

Please don't pay $30 for just the UHD version on Vudu (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with the OP. None of that digital crap for me until I can make a full and independent backup of my purchases.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can back up most iTunes purchases if that's your thing. Seems silly to me, as the OP, tho. The price is my complaint, not the portability.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will pay $30 for a 4K UHD BD movie but there is no way I am going to pay money for a digital version that I have to download or rely on a internet connection to watch it. I see no value in a movie that is not on a disc and no way I would pay $30 for a digital version, no way!

I understand your objective, but it could actually backfire. If people don't buy the streaming or download versions, the studios could think that no one is interested in UHD and as such, not invest in disc versions and possibly not even bother with UHD streaming versions.

I do not think it would back fire and I feel that studios would actually release more on UHD BD if people stopped buying viewing licenses for digital media. If the studios saw that the only way they will make money on 4K UHD content is by physical media they would just start offering less digital content. Right now physical media still offers superior quality and not only do you own the disc but if there is a legal battle you can still watch it and do not have to worry about your service pulling the title. IMHO digital delivery still has some improving to do but for me I do not see myself buying movies if physical media was to go away. I also do not see that happening anything soon because there are still alot of people that do not have computers, internet or if they have internet it is really slow. So not only do you own your physical titles but another thing you can have that you can not have with digital media is collect-ability!!! Digital downloads are not collectible just like digital music files are not collectible! Am also having some audio sync issues with Vudu so why should I pay money for something I only have a viewing license for and have audio sync issues and have to have internet to watch it and or download it. And if it is Apple based you have to have there Apple TV to watch it because you can not stream it from you pc to your tv without having a Mac Mini or Apple TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will pay $30 for a 4K UHD BD movie but there is no way I am going to pay money for a digital version that I have to download or rely on a internet connection to watch it. I see no value in a movie that is not on a disc and no way I would pay $30 for a digital version, no way!

I will not even pay $30 for a UHD disc -- my price point is less than $20 (and most of my purchases have been less than $15 per film). The pricing for UHD streaming content is ridiculous right now. Vudu is charging $10 just to rent a UHD version of a film, which I think is insane for a rental. I only have a few UHD titles in my UV library, and they are from codes I redeemed from UHD discs. I haven't actually watched any of the titles via streaming, as it makes no sense to watch a stream of something I have on disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will not even pay $30 for a UHD disc -- my price point is less than $20 (and most of my purchases have been less than $15 per film). The pricing for UHD streaming content is ridiculous right now. Vudu is charging $10 just to rent a UHD version of a film, which I think is insane for a rental. I only have a few UHD titles in my UV library, and they are from codes I redeemed from UHD discs. I haven't actually watched any of the titles via streaming, as it makes no sense to watch a stream of something I have on disc.
It depends on the movie for me. If it's a new film that is releasing on 4K/UHD then I might buy it less than $25.00. For most catalog titles that I already own on BD less than $20.00 is my target price.

As to making no sense to watch a stream of something you may have on disc, it depends on certain circumstances for me. I keep my disc library in another room stored in book cases with thousands of discs. Sometimes, I'm just lazy and/or it's simpler to watch Vudu then to actual go and get the disc. For a first timing viewing, then I'll probably watch the disc, but if it's something I just got in the mood to watch, I might watch a stream of it. Again, it depends on how lazy I am that particular day.:)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It depends on the movie for me. If it's a new film that is releasing on 4K/UHD then I might buy it less than $25.00. For most catalog titles that I already own on BD less than $20.00 is my target price.

As to making no sense to watch a stream of something you may have on disc, it depends on certain circumstances for me. I keep my disc library in another room stored in book cases with thousands of discs. Sometimes, I'm just lazy and/or it's simpler to watch Vudu then to actual go and get the disc. For a first timing viewing, then I'll probably watch the disc, but if it's something I just got in the mood to watch, I might watch a stream of it. Again, it depends on how lazy I am that particular day.:)

While I've never watched a stream of something I have on disc out of laziness (I store my films in my den/office, which isn't far from the room with the home theater setup), I can understand and appreciate the feeling. I will do that quite often with music. It's so easy with an Amazon Echo to say "Alexa, play X" instead of getting a CD and firing up the home theater -- I keep most of my CD collection in our basement, so I have to go down & back up the stairs to get most of them. The exception being SACD and DVD-Audio titles, which I keep with the films so I can get to them easier, as the only place I can play them is on the home theater anyway. I have another audio system in our basement, which has a finished recreation room with pool table, dart board, wet bar, etc., but can only play CD's on that audio-only system.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I haven't actually watched any of the titles via streaming, as it makes no sense to watch a stream of something I have on disc.

It makes a ton of sense while traveling. Heck, last week I spent a full day polishing and waxing my car in the garage and I had movies playing on my iPad just for something to listen to. I have grown to value the ability to stream greatly.

If you think about it, music has always been this way - you do serious listening through a main sound system but there's also value in listening while out for a run or while driving the car. Really all streaming is is movies having now caught up to that kind of usage.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It makes a ton of sense while traveling. Heck, last week I spent a full day polishing and waxing my car in the garage and I had movies playing on my iPad just for something to listen to. I have grown to value the ability to stream greatly.

If you think about it, music has always been this way - you do serious listening through a main sound system but there's also value in listening while out for a run or while driving the car. Really all streaming is is movies having now caught up to that kind of usage.

I agree about the traveling, which is why I continue to redeem the UV codes that come with discs. If I just want to listen to something in the background while doing another task, I prefer music, but I can understand why some people would like to listen to a movie. I mainly was referring never watching a UHD version via streaming, as the only place I can do that is in the main home theater room, and if I'm going to sit down and actually watch a film in there it will always be on disc if I happen to own it.

We take an iPad with us when we travel, and I usually copy several TV episodes to the device. Our UV film library is available on the tablet, but TV episodes seem to work better for us when we are traveling. Sometimes the wi-fi is not very good (or non-existent) where we are, too, which eliminates streaming as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks