What's new

Please don't pay $30 for just the UHD version on Vudu (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Look, I know I have said a lot of (justifiably) bad things about Ultraviolet in the past, but I am appealing to your senses right now even if you are a fan. If you pay $30 for the digital only version of a show on Vudu you are literally part of the problem. Redeem all the codes you want from packaged media, at least those are coming with a UHD disk, the blu and a code. I'm doing so myself despite being incredibly frustrated with the format. But please please please do not give in to these asshats and pay $30 just to get the HDR version of films that arent available on disk (Pacific Rim, Watchmen etc).

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I understand your objective, but it could actually backfire. If people don't buy the streaming or download versions, the studios could think that no one is interested in UHD and as such, not invest in disc versions and possibly not even bother with UHD streaming versions.

And I say that as someone who has never redeemed a code from packaged media. If I purchase a BD, I want to see it on a big screen (or what's big for me) and at least 5.1 sound, not on a phone or Pad. I don't even sell my codes, because I think it's unethical (and because if I decide to re-sell any BDs, which I have done, I want to sell them complete).

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I won't buy them as they are Dolby Vision only, no HDR10 support. So I will just wait for the UHD Disks to arrive. I hope we get a few of those you mentioned by the end of the year.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I just purchased a 4K TV. Bought a code for Mad Max UHD on Vudu but I would have bought straight from Vudu except they don't package it right for me. I want the UHD but, I also want the 3D. Not about to buy it twice ($60-$70) yikes!

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
They are overpriced so I don't think you have to worry about many people buying it. Now if they were $15-20, then you would have cause to worry, about buyers being 'part of the problem'. Consider it good news that they are $30. It makes the UHD/BD/UV HDR combo seem like a great value in comparison and will steer more people towards physical media if the prices stay that way (although I'm sure the prices will come down. They are just testing the waters right now).

Personally I am not interested in paying for streaming titles. Downloads are another story because the bit rate isn't comprised by limited bandwidth.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I won't buy them as they are Dolby Vision only, no HDR10 support. So I will just wait for the UHD Disks to arrive. I hope we get a few of those you mentioned by the end of the year.

HDR10 is a must for me. At least I know that format will stick around as long as UHD BD does.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's gonna be a LOT of frustrated Samsung and Sony buyers this year who find out the backwards compatibility of HDR10 is only guaranteed for disks not streams. And there are going to be a LOT of streams in HDR that never make it to disk. And we are all gonna have a seriously long wait for consumer 4K 3D. As big a flop as 3D has been with the mainstream I don't see it happening at all, no matter how much enthusiasts enjoy it :(

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
There's gonna be a LOT of frustrated Samsung and Sony buyers this year who find out the backwards compatibility of HDR10 is only guaranteed for disks not streams. And there are going to be a LOT of streams in HDR that never make it to disk. And we are all gonna have a seriously long wait for consumer 4K 3D. As big a flop as 3D has been with the mainstream I don't see it happening at all, no matter how much enthusiasts enjoy it :(

Amazon Instant is HDR10 only

Netflix is DV-only but will add HDR10 soon

Vudu is DV-only, with no word on when they'll add HDR10.

Both Netflix and VUDU are likely getting paid for a window of DV exclusivity.

The digital situation is not as dire for HDR10 as you make it sound.

Yes it's true that a lot of HDR movies on digital will never make it to disc, but that's true for 1080p as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Look, I know I have said a lot of (justifiably) bad things about Ultraviolet in the past, but I am appealing to your senses right now even if you are a fan. If you pay $30 for the digital only version of a show on Vudu you are literally part of the problem. Redeem all the codes you want from packaged media, at least those are coming with a UHD disk, the blu and a code. I'm doing so myself despite being incredibly frustrated with the format. But please please please do not give in to these asshats and pay $30 just to get the HDR version of films that arent available on disk (Pacific Rim, Watchmen etc).
I don't like it when others suggest how I should spend my monies. It's not anybody's place to do that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you pay $30 for the digital only version of a show on Vudu you are literally part of the problem.

I don't think that's a fair statement, particularly if you're referring to all media and not just UHD. There are numerous television shows that were produced and originally broadcast in HD, and never released on Blu-ray, and likely never will be. I doubt CBS is going to go back and make Blu-rays of CSI Season 10 now, when they decided to discontinue Blu-ray releases when the show was still airing. For a lot of content, the choice is to watch it in SD on disc, or HD via streaming or download. I didn't invent those options, I didn't decide to discontinue HD disc releases for certain titles, and I don't like being blamed for it either.

Ownership of movies and television shows is a pretty recent phenomenon - the vast majority of people were content with what was at their local theater, and then available at their local video store, until DVD came around and the market was flooded with good quality versions at inexpensive prices. A majority of consumers probably purchased more discs than they actually ended up using. I don't think streaming has killed physical media sales because it never occurred to people not to buy a disc until someone gave them that option. I think streaming is killing physical sales because most people aren't naturally inclined to buy every title and are perfectly content to watch most things once by whichever method is most convenient and cost effective at a given moment.

This is not the fault of HTF membership. HTF membership represents a very tiny minority of the home viewing audience. I think it's sort of crazy to blame anyone for having the preferences they have, so I hesitate to say that it's the "fault" of the majority public - it's just how things are evolving.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I would rather buy a movie on VHS with its crappy quality than buy a "digital" movie with UHD! At least I'll always have control over that VHS!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't think that's a fair statement, particularly if you're referring to all media and not just UHD.

This is not the fault of HTF membership. HTF membership represents a very tiny minority of the home viewing audience. I think it's sort of crazy to blame anyone for having the preferences they have, so I hesitate to say that it's the "fault" of the majority public - it's just how things are evolving.

Talking about any digital code for $30+ per movie. Currently only Vudu has that gall but if others do in the future add them to my 'avoid' recommendation.

Maybe we are a small minority but we do have more than our fair share of influencers. There is no group that represents the perspective of consumers better than forums, and forum members are woefully underrepresented against the forces of the hardware vendors, content providers and things like the CEA. This is our only place to let our voices be heard and say "No we won't bite on that".

I don't like it when others suggest how I should spend my monies. It's not anybody's place to do that.

Fair enough Crawdaddy and I'm purposefully bombastic in the OP, so I respect if you guys disagree, this is solely my personal viewpoint and we can agree to disagree on it.

I don't doubt that there are plenty of folks who think I'm a whiner and a chicken little saying the sky is falling. If you disagree and want $30+ digital only purchases, carry on. For me, I won't do so and I'll recommend anyone who asks to avoid them too as they are not a good deal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fair enough Crawdaddy and I'm purposefully bombastic in the OP, so I respect if you guys disagree, this is solely my personal viewpoint and we can agree to disagree on it.

I don't doubt that there are plenty of folks who think I'm a whiner and a chicken little saying the sky is falling. If you disagree and want $30+ digital only purchases, carry on. For me, I won't do so and I'll recommend anyone who asks to avoid them too as they are not a good deal.
Sam,

Personally, I doubt I'll ever pay that much for a digital purchase. With that said, I don't think its my place or anybody else to suggest how others should spend their monies. That's my only point.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I understand your objective, but it could actually backfire. If people don't buy the streaming or download versions, the studios could think that no one is interested in UHD and as such, not invest in disc versions and possibly not even bother with UHD streaming versions.

And I say that as someone who has never redeemed a code from packaged media. If I purchase a BD, I want to see it on a big screen (or what's big for me) and at least 5.1 sound, not on a phone or Pad. I don't even sell my codes, because I think it's unethical (and because if I decide to re-sell any BDs, which I have done, I want to sell them complete).

I, too, buy a blu-ray to watch on a big screen, and I have never bought a digital copy of a movie. But I do redeem the codes; there have been a few times when I was unexpectedly stuck in an airport, a hotel, or even late at work and it was nice to have free access to a favorite movie to pass the time.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FYI a spam post bumped this thread today, which is why it's being replied to. Vudu are still asking for $30 for new releases, I can't believe folks will pay that but my faith in humanity has been tested by 2016 in many ways, so there is that =)

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
FYI a spam post bumped this thread today, which is why it's being replied to. Vudu are still asking for $30 for new releases, I can't believe folks will pay that but my faith in humanity has been tested by 2016 in many ways, so there is that =)

I generally only purchase digital on Vudu's monthly sales but I think I did spend $26 on a digital movie once but, that is under $30 so I'm good, right?:P

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Only you can figure where you draw the line personally. I implore folks not to overpay but I support em whatever they do if they are having fun with the hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks