What's new

Please assist me in connecting all of this hardware (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I have been lurking for a while, and I just now decided to drop some cash on new home theater equipment. I am purchasing it all from Sears since the sales guy is price matching internet prices. Here is what I am going to buy on Saturday.
Sony KV-36HS20 36" Wega
Sony DVP-NS700P
Sony STR DE-1075
I already have the following:
6 piece JBL speaker system
Motorola digital cable converter from Cox
SLV-721HF VCR
I believe I would use component cables to hook the DVD to the TV. From the VCR to the receiver "video 1 in" using A/V cables, and from the cable box to the receiver "tv/sat" using A/V cables. Then from the receiver "svideo monitor out"to the TV svideo "video in #1". Is this correct?
Would you guys mind letting me know the PROPER cables to use and if I have described the PROPER way to connect each component? I apologize for my lack of knowledge in home theater. Thanks in advance.
[Edited last by John M Welch on October 24, 2001 at 06:02 PM]

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
There are alot of post on this Forum about cables (co-ax vs optical etc.) Personally I would go to HomeDepot and go to the electrical ailse where the have the big conveyer belt with all the wires on it. Buy the 12 gauge speaker wire (more than enough). Assuming there are banana plugs on the back of the sony and speakers go to Radio Shack and pick up the apropriate quantity (or other connectors if Banana is not avail.). Get the simple to connect kind for about 5 bucks for 2, unless you are good with a soldering gun and then you can save money and assemble your own.
There are a lot of web sites that sell high quality RCA cables that you will need (search on this Forum for them). Stay in digital and stay with the highest quality picture transfer you can. If your cable box has digital out then connect it via a co-ax cable or fiber optic. Same goes for a DVD player. Use the componet input on the back of the Wega if you can. Otherwise use s-video. Note that what ever form of cables you use to connect a device to the Sony Receiver, you will have to use the same to the TV. For example, if you use rca for the video signal from the VCR to the recevier, then you will have to use the RCA video out from the Recevier to the WEGA. So goes if you use S-video or the compon. out.
The trick is to take your time and do it right and NOT spend too much money where not necessary. Many posts here say that Monster cable is not worth the extra expense.
------------------

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Welcome! I'm not sure if you should get an 'A' or a 'B' on your first test.
If your receiver will allow A/V ins to a S-Video out, you could go that way, but A/V's (or just the video) to the TV will do. You will probably get enough with your equipment to at least try it all out.
What Michael was talking about is to make your own cables. They can be cut to the exact length, thereby reducing cable clutter. On the component and A/V cables, you could use RG-6 for all of them.
Oh, and whatever you do, have fun!!!
Glenn

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi John. Welcome to HTF! :)
I agree with most of what you proposed, but you have one or two things wrong.
You must run a single/composite video cable from the receiver to the TV. Not SVideo. Your receiver will not convert one type of signal to another. Sending composite from the VCR and Cox cable box to the receiver will result in no-signal out the SVideo jack on the receiver.
The rule is:
All composite video signals going into the receiver come out only on the Composite/Monitor out jack.
All Svideo signals going into the receiver come out only on the SVideo/Monitor out.
Does this help?
What I like to do is this:
Run AV cables (L/R/Composite Video) from every source to the receiver. Leave the TV "looking" at the signal from the receiver.
Now the entire system can be run using the receiver remote to do all the switching. This is good for kids, wives, etc.
But also run Component cables straight from the DVD player to the TV like you proposed. When you sit down to watch a DVD, you take the extra step to grab the TV remote and switch it to look at the Component signal for the superior picture. Just remember to switch it back at the end to put the receiver in control of everything.
Good Luck.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
John. some other advice...
When you put equipment in the rack, put the receiver on the bottom. Put things you interact with like VCR & DVD player up at the top. Put the cable box down low because you never touch it.
This will allow your speaker wires to flow out with a short drop onto the floor and will keep them away from your interconnects.
Run your power cords to one side of your rack. Let the interconnects dangle down the middle.
DVD to Receiver: Get a VIDEO cable and use this for the coaxial-digital connection between the DVD player and the receiver.
When you go to hook things up:
  • Make sure you have an hour of un-interupted time. You want to do this slowly and carefully.
  • Turn off all the power. Hook up 1 component. Test and dont go beyond until this component works, and you know how to run it. Then turn everything off before installing the next.
  • I strongly recommend getting the dual-banana plugs from Radio Shack and using these to wire up your speakers. They make it simple to do a neat job. It is very important to not leave little strands of copper wire poking out. These can cause a short and could damage your equipment. The dual-bananas work fine for behind the speakers, but if they stick out too-far, Radio Shack has some nice single-bananas that un-screw into 2 parts and screw-down to clamp the wire.
  • Buy a spool of 12 ga wire and use it for all your speakers. This should cost you about $0.50/ft.
  • Wire in the receiver and speakers first. If the receiver has a "test-tone" feature, hit this button and listen to the static move around the speakers. Make sure they are wired correctly (it's easy to mess this up behind the rack).
  • Wire in a simple component, VCR and make sure it works.
  • Wire in the CATV box next.
  • Wire in the DVD player last - Hey, Anticipation IS a part of this hobby :)
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks