What's new

Hardware Review Harman Kardon SB16 Soundbar Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
[SIZE= 13px]When you want better stereo sound from your new HDTV, many consumers are considering soundbars when space is at a premium. Harman Kardon’s entry-level soundbar, the SB16, is a 25-watt per channel 2.1 stereo solution with virtual surround and a wireless 100-watt 10” subwoofer.[/SIZE]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P1MRM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=htfreviews-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0049P1MRM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P1MRM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=htfreviews-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0049P1MRM
[SIZE= 13px]I placed the soundbar, per the user manual, on the TV stand at the bottom of the TV and attached the rubber feet. Since I normally run all my components through my Home Theater Receiver, I opted to connect only components to the soundbar, since I did not want to disconnect and change how my home theater operates in my living room (the wife acceptance factor). Per the User Manual, I connected my PlayStation3 to the optical audio input on the rear of the soundbar, then activated the optical audio output on the PS3, leaving both Dolby Digital and DTS output compatibility turned on. I then placed the subwoofer in the front corner next to the TV, and powered everything on. The soundbar has a nice feature, in that it will automatically switch sources when it detects a signal, and it selected the optical audio input as soon as the PS3 fired up. I chose a standard playlist of MP3 songs I have loaded on the PS3, adjusted the volume on the top of the soundbar, adjusted the crossover and volume on the subwoofer, and the audio was quite pleasing. The soundbar provided nice highs and midtones, and with good stereo separation. My experience with most wireless subwoofers that come packaged with soundbars is that they are on the wimpy side. To my surprise, the SB16 subwoofer more than adequately compensated for the low-end bass that the soundbar could not reproduce. I then proceeded to play a Blu-ray, [/SIZE][SIZE= 13px]Roadracers[/SIZE][SIZE= 13px]. After the disc booted up, there was no audio whatsoever. I looked in the manual under troubleshooting, and followed the steps (is the soundbar powered on, is it connected properly, is the proper source selected, is the soundbar muted, is the volume set to minimum, etc.). This prompted a call to Harman Kardon’s tech support, and I was not at all impressed. Like most companies these days, Harman Kardon’s tech support is outsourced to India. It is important to note that at no time did I indicate that I was reviewing this product in any way. The gentlemen who assisted me had a very thick Indian accent, and asked me if the PS3’s optical output was set to PCM or bitstream. I told him that I did not know, and proceeded to ask him where in the manual does it state that any component attached to either coax or optical inputs needed to be set to output PCM only. He apologized that it was not there, and mentioned that he would document my complaint and request that it be added to future versions of the owners manual and online troubleshooting steps. So, apparently, the SB16 does not include and Dolby or DTS decoding ability (even though the logos are clearly displayed on the packaging). That’s okay, but it should have been documented in the users manual from the get go.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 13px]So, now that the PS3 has been set to output PCM only over optical audio, movies sounded rich and full in stereo mode. But how would they sound when the virtual surround was activated? In a word, weird. Yes, there was a sense of expansiveness, but what should have been the center channel had an empty, hollowness to it. I tried another movie, [/SIZE][SIZE= 13px]Blade Runner[/SIZE][SIZE= 13px], with the same result. Granted, I’ve never been a fan of virtual surround, but have heard some decent prototypes from SRS at CES in 2011. Sadly, the virtual surround on the SB16 was, to put it mildly, disappointing, and I do not recommend using it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 13px]Now, back to the lack of a remote control. Harman Kardon has decided to allow the SB16 to learn IR remote codes from a customer’s existing remote rather than include what many would consider yet another remote to the stack. While I applaud them for that approach, I have a feeling many consumers may end up getting frustrated trying to program the remote codes into the SB16. Basically, you have to hold down both the power and source buttons until the Surround button flashes. You then have 20 seconds to press the button on the soundbar you want to program. If you are successful, the power button will then go dark. You then have 5 seconds (that’s right, 5 seconds) to aim the remote “at the front of the soundbar and slowly and repeatedly press and release the corresponding button on the remote until the Surround and Source buttons on the soundbar flash and then, after a few seconds, return to constant illumination.” This actually took me a few attempts for each button I wanted to program, but once they were programmed, everything seemed to work well. However, programming the MUTE command is a bit more complicated.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 13px]In summary, the Harman Kardon SB16 soundbar and wireless subwoofer is a good option for those wanting to simply and somewhat easily upgrade from the existing speakers on their television. But Harman Kardon needs to make sure their customers are aware that if they decide to connect anything (including their television) to the soundbar via digital audio (either optical or coax), then bitstream MUST be turned off and set to PCM only. Otherwise, this will likely lead to confusion and possibly unwarranted returns by the consumer, thinking the soundbar is defective when it is not. The virtual surround option is also a major disappointment, and I’m not sure what consumers will think of the size of the wireless subwoofer (it seems a bit over-sized), since one of the reasons consumers are looking to soundbars is not just for the lack of extra unwanted speaker wires, but also freeing up floor space in the living room.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks