What's new

Playing high resolution audio via USB flash drive on PIoneer SC-05 receiver (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a Pioneer SC-05 7.1 receiver and have played standard mp3 music and am wondering if this receiver will play other files like flac or alac from the flash drive or from a Windows 7 pc? Granted the flash drive is the only option right now as I still need to get some cat6 cable and a 4 port switch that will sit next to my receiver. I see no reason to download any high resolution audio just to listen to it on my pc if the receiver will not play the file. Not a big fan of listening to music on my pc even though I built a nice pc and have a decent 2.1 set of Polk Audio pc speakers. They do not compair to my Altec Lancing A-7's I use with my Pioneer SC-05 receiver in my home theater. I looked through my owners manual and dug around the internet a little put help would be very much appreciated. :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Granted I don't do much "home listening" to MP3/FLAC...etc... I also don't use USB for it either...so... The Ipad/Ipod/Droid phones in the house will all stream FLAC via 1/8th and Bluetooth to all of my AVR. The one AVR I have with networking(NR1008) I don't even use it(there is an Acer Revo in the room connected HDMI). So, even if you load a song on a stick(how hard is that?) and it doesn't work...you'll have other options. The Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver(Model number starts F8Z) and the Miccus Blubridge both accept high bit rate...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not currently own any high resolution audio files and spending money to download an album only to have it stuck on the pc. Right now I am stuck working part time so spending $18 - $26 for a high resolution album that will not play via my receiver is not a great idea for me.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Right now I am stuck working part time so spending $18 - $26 for a high resolution album that will not play via my receiver is not a great idea for me.
I've purchased a few HD albums(from HDTracks) and haven't really noticed much of a difference. They do provide flacs though, so if the prices come down to match CD, I'll start buying them again. On the other hand, my CD ripped to flacs sound *much* better than the mp3 I ripped. So I recommend you do continue to investigate playing them on your Pioneer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is every reason to start using FLAC. I went "back" into my Itunes and re-loaded everything from MP3 to FLAC. Yeah...it took a while...but it was free... Less than 40% of my Itunes is download though. The vast majority is from disc or a downmixed SACD/DVD-A. Quite a bit of the FLAC I play via Spotify. And am currently trying to decide if I want to continue paying for Spotify...or jump ship to MOG.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Am trying to create flac files with a program called exact audio copy but all it insists on doing is creating wav files! I have downloaded a few songs with iTunes but have no idea how to redownload them as flac's. Now I am on iTunes trying to figure out how to download songs as flac files and I am hating iTunes all over again! :f Not worried about download times as I have Verizon Fios Quantum and get up to 171mb/sec download speeds.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I tried both Winamp and MediaMonkey. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I settled in on Winamp. You have to get the paid version of either to rip flacs, but it wasn't much, $30 I think. And for what it's worth, both can be used as a replacement for iTunes to load portable devices, including iPods. (It wasn't an exaustive test, but I'd say MediaMonkey is probably the cleaner, more stable tool; however, they use a lot of secondary information containers (directories for samples, playlists, and that kind of thing), that you have to take the time to learn how to use. I just wanted to rip CDs, so I gave up some features for simplistic ripping and some bugs.)
[Quite a bit of the FLAC I play via Spotify. And am currently trying to decide if I want to continue paying for Spotify...or jump ship to MOG./QUOTE] I didn't know those services provided content in the flac format. Excellent info; I'll be checking them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks