What's new

Plasma Vs. Front Projection (1 Viewer)

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello all,

I am getting ready to start framing our downstairs basement which will include a dedicated home theater room. To get an idea for the design of the room, what are some of the Pros and Cons of a Front Projection setup vs. a Plasma TV?

Thanks for any help,
Robert

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

FP vs. Plasma is a comparison of two completely different animals that serve different purposes.

FP ... bigger image ... and if it is fixed panel type ... no burn in worries. Bigger image.

Plasma ... 37 inches to 60 inches max ... worst black levels of the two. If you want quality ... prepare to spend much more than run of mill plasma.

Both have flat images ... FP is the flattest. :) as it has no depth.

Plasma is good with a lot of daylight ... FP is not. But since this is for HT use ... it is a non-issue.

Good 60" plasmas are well over $15000 ...

Plasma isn't really for HT use ... it is for all purpose use. FP is for HT use. Hide the plasma behind the drop down screen for the FP.

Regards

Rich H

Second Unit
Drat. I just learned my plasma-based home theater ain't really a home theater. Sniffle...:b

For some of us, bigger isn't always better. My pal has a pretty good LCD front projector and he lusts after the plasma every time he watches a DVD on mine. In such a case I certainly wouldn't want to "hide" my plasma with his front projector image.

But a truly excellent FP system is, of course, killer home theater. They are certainly different beasts, as Michael points out.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I mean that in a kind way though. Since people are not normally building dedicated HT rooms surrounding a plasma unit. Maybe in the future ... but not now.

Regards

mark alan

Supporting Actor
You canadians and your silly ideas. In the states, we always know that bigger is better.:D

Rich H

Second Unit
Michael,

Understood. I was havin' you on a bit, of course :)

Yup, building a dedicated room for plasma doesn't seem to make too much sense to me either (unless you are constrained to build a smaller than usual HT room).

Often enough, though, I've seen many HT people say "Plasmas are not Home Theater," which comes off as elitist and is a bit off-putting to those of us who've used plasma to integrate Home Theater, however modest, into our lives.
I'm just sticking up for the little guy :)

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks