What's new

Plasma TV vs Home Theater LCD Projector (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Which has better colors, sharpness, etc? Basically, which has better overall image quality?

Secondly, is it true that Plasma TVs only have a life span of about 3 years?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Haris,

Last year I spoke with a rep from Pioneer and he said that the halflife of the gases used in their plasma monitors was 30,000 hours. At that time it will still work but be half as bright. So I guess it matters how much often you use it and whether or not you can stand its loss of brightness.

Plasma monitors have come down a lot in price BUT for the price you will pay for a quality 42" plasma you could get one heck of an LCD projector. Not to mention a much larger image. One day I see myself owning a plasma but if I were making a decision right now I would go for a projector. I hope that helps.

Dan Hine

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I second that, plus the projector's image is more cinematic than watching a plasma.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
... and there is no need to limit yourself to LCD either if you can afford to pay for a Plasma screen, you can get a fantastic projector for those amounts of money.

However, 30000 hours is a LOT of viewing time. Assuming it runs 4 hours a day, that comes to 7500 days. 7500 days is 20 years!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Plus, even the best Panasonic and Pioneer displays I've seen have two horrid flaws:
1 - black still glows a fair amount of light.
2 - the last few shades of dark tones before it goes to black are very distinct, stair-steppy. (Note: most DLP projectors have this problem to some extent, too.)
They're getting better, and they can be used with some light in the room, but I, too, would go for a projector.
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Well, check out this review of a Panasonic Plasma TV: Link Removed
They seem to like it a lot.

KeithR

Second Unit
Why would I buy an LCD, which is outdated technology, and has screen door? I jumped on the projector band wagon too a few months ago, but since then sold my Seleco dlp...but if you have limited space, and ambient light, and want to watch TV, then projectors aren't for you. I intend to have both eventually, so I bought the Panny 42 for a little over 5k now and will wait for a pj. Every single person who comes over wants to buy one...that is how good they are.

And if you are going to harp about near-perfect black levels, lets talk about LCD which has WORSE black level than the plasmas...if you have seen HDTV on a Panny, you will know why a bunch of us nuts are buying them. Besides, even on an RPTV, the black letter bars aren't totally black which is probably the only way one could tell the Panny doesn't have perfect blacks. I have never seen false contouring on my Panny either, and have seen it on every other 42" on the market. That is the most disturbing thing about plasmas imho.

DLP has the dreaded rainbow effect, even on the new Sharp that everyone is glowing about. Once you see it...you can't watch the movie, albeit with a great picture otherwise.

The best value is probably CRT, and will be my next route most likely---but they are too bulky for my NYC apartment, so I guess I will have to wait until the HD2 dlp chips come out and hope to God that they eliminate the rainbow finally...

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I would like to know which has better overall image quality.
I am deciding between the Panasonic TH-42PW4 Plasma TV and the Sony VPL-VW11HT LCD Projector. Apart from the fact that you can have a much bigger picture with the LCD Projector, which has a better picture?

Huey

Agent
Plasma will have a better image but a lot smaller. It can have burn in if you watch a lot of 4:3 images in the middle of the 16:9 screen. The way to avoid it is to stretch the 4:3 image to fill entire screen. Unfortunately quality of image won't immerse you as much as the size of the image; otherwise we all will stick with our 40" rear-projection TV. Plasma will be much brighter too so you can watch with lights on while FPTV requires darken room (image looks washed out otherwise).

VW11HT can provide a 8 foot or larger screen and allows you to sit further back than a plasma screen would. It truely immerse you in the movie like your local theater can.

CRT may give you the quality of plasma with a larger image provided you buy used units and don't mind a 100-200# box hanging from your ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks