What's new

Onward (Pixar) (2020) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only other time we had two Pixar in one year was 2015, when they were in June (Inside Out) and late November (The Good Dinosaur, which did not work out anywhere near as well as they hoped.)

I'm quoting my old post from last December to correct myself, because we also had Cars 3 (June) and Coco (November) in 2017. I wasn't overly fond of either of those films so I guess I forgot them. I still think it's very weird that both Onward and Good Dinosaur are in the first half of the year so close together, but they've already been marketing both, so Disney appears committed to maintaining those release dates.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New character posters:

Onward character poster 1.jpg
Onward character poster 2.jpg
Onward character poster 3.jpg
Onward character poster 4.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new trailer looks great:

Also, one more (presumably final) main poster. I don't like this one as much as the previous ones as it just looks overly busy.

Onward poster.jpg

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks to be not bad; although, I still find the modern setting to be a little jarring since it is so mundane.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the trailer looked horrendous. I was shocked to see this is a Pixar film. I thought it was a straight to video production.

I’m sure in the end it will most likely be a good film but that trailer didn’t do it any favors.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought the trailer looked horrendous. I was shocked to see this is a Pixar film. I thought it was a straight to video production.

I’m sure in the end it will most likely be a good film but that trailer didn’t do it any favors.

Your bar for Pixar films must be somewhere near the Moon if you think that trailer looked like a straight to video flick. :laugh:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
50 days until release (49 if you count the Thursday previews) and Disney put out more new character posters.

Onward poster 1.jpg
Onward poster 2.jpg

Onward poster 3.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know there are lots of theaters with reserved seating nowadays, but I still can't figure out why people feel the need to buy tickets so far out in advance. Here, there's never a problem getting in on opening night unless it's an Avengers or Star Wars movie. I think Onward will do very well, but I don't think it's going to have the kind of immediate pressing need to be seen right away that will cause opening night shows to be difficult to get into, especially opening in March when kids are in school. The big money on this one will be Saturday and Sunday of its opening weekend.

That being said, last year, Disney often put tickets on sale for their next major release on the Monday following the opening weekend of the previous one. (The Lion King tickets went on sale on the Monday following the opening of Toy Story 4, etc.) If they stick to this pattern again, that would suggest that Onward tickets will go on sale following the opening of 20th Century Not Fox's The Call of the Wild, which opens on February 21. So that would mean that Onward tickets would be available beginning on February 24. Mulan tickets would then follow after the opening of Onward, which would be Monday, March 9.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
tickets aren't on sale yet

My theater has posted showtimes for opening weekend now. They are greyed out, so not available for purchase yet, but you can see what they are, so the on-sale date is obviously coming soon.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I know there are lots of theaters with reserved seating nowadays, but I still can't figure out why people feel the need to buy tickets so far out in advance. Here, there's never a problem getting in on opening night unless it's an Avengers or Star Wars movie. I think Onward will do very well, but I don't think it's going to have the kind of immediate pressing need to be seen right away that will cause opening night shows to be difficult to get into, especially opening in March when kids are in school. The big money on this one will be Saturday and Sunday of its opening weekend.

That being said, last year, Disney often put tickets on sale for their next major release on the Monday following the opening weekend of the previous one. (The Lion King tickets went on sale on the Monday following the opening of Toy Story 4, etc.) If they stick to this pattern again, that would suggest that Onward tickets will go on sale following the opening of 20th Century Not Fox's The Call of the Wild, which opens on February 21. So that would mean that Onward tickets would be available beginning on February 24. Mulan tickets would then follow after the opening of Onward, which would be Monday, March 9.

I'll tell ya why I like tickets far ahead of time: so I can plan my Thursday night. Can I go to the gym or do I not have time? Should I have dinner premade or do I have time to make something/pick something up? Can I watch Picard before the movie or do I have to keep it for Friday? I like plans and schedules and stuff. I also understand the opposite: it really doesn't matter for some people.

The rest is all true about the tickets being release, though I thought they would have strayed a bit from that pattern with Call of the Wild being followed so incredibly closely by Onward, but...

My theater has posted showtimes for opening weekend now. They are greyed out, so not available for purchase yet, but you can see what they are, so the on-sale date is obviously coming soon.

I checked and AMC has times up as well, just greyed out. At least I can plan a little bit now.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another note, Walt Disney Records just announced on their Facebook page that the Onward soundtrack will drop digitally on February 28, which is a week before the film comes out. According to their post, it features end-credit song "Carried Me With You" by Grammy award winner Brandi Carlile. The score is by Mychael Danna and Jeff Danna, who previously scored The Good Dinosaur.

No word yet on a physical release date

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought they would have strayed a bit from that pattern with Call of the Wild being followed so incredibly closely by Onward, but...

On the other hand, they usually don't put showtimes up more than a week before the tickets go on sale. They might do it next Tuesday (I assume not Monday because that's part of the weekend due to President's Day.) Although with the times being up, you can plan either way.

I will be going with a friend on Friday afternoon this time, when kids are still in school, and my theater never sells out anyway, so in this particular case I don't feel like I need advance tickets. I bought advance tickets for Toy Story 4 on opening night in the summer and there ended up only being like ten people in the theater, max. So I think I'm good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Same with my Cinemark, so I'm pretty sure it's on sale everywhere now. And they are doing paid sneak previews on February 29, which is an unusual choice for a film of this stature.

The last Pixar film to have paid sneaks was Inside Out, which went out as a Fathom Event three days before its official release date. Prior to that, the last Pixar title to do paid sneaks was Ratatouille, a couple weeks before release, when the grosses were folded into that weekend's result for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'm still super-excited for the movie. But this allegedly happened.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/new...r-tremendously-cool-painted-van-in-pixar-film

Last time I looked, copyright covers creative expressions, but does not cover ideas. E.g., you can copyright a particular cartoon featuring a cat chasing a mouse, but you cannot copyright the idea of a cartoon that features a cat chasing a mouse. You can copyright a particular film noir film, but you cannot copyright the idea of film noir.

It is quite possible that Pixar got the idea for their van from this artist's actual one. It is also possible that the details are different enough that there is no infringement. Sounds like the biggest winners are going to be the lawyers.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Last time I looked, copyright covers creative expressions, but does not cover ideas. E.g., you can copyright a particular cartoon featuring a cat chasing a mouse, but you cannot copyright the idea of a cartoon that features a cat chasing a mouse. You can copyright a particular film noir film, but you cannot copyright the idea of film noir.

It is quite possible that Pixar got the idea for their van from this artist's actual one. It is also possible that the details are different enough that there is no infringement. Sounds like the biggest winners are going to be the lawyers.

I think she has a case, considering that Pixar was clearly aware of her work beforehand. I'm sure there will be a settlement and all will be happy (including the lawyers), but Pixar really could have handled this better from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks