Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
pitch-black-group.jpg

Based on content from my original Bluray Review, which is here:
Pitch Black Bluray Review
Pitch Black is the inaugural film in the Chronicles of Riddick, which now spans three feature films, an animated direct to disk release, and two videogames. Richard B. Riddick is the series’ antihero protagonist, one mean motor scooter who makes no bones about his violent past or his commitment to only himself. Besides his brawn, stealth, fighting ability and capability to break out of just about any prison, Riddick has one other surprise trick: surgical implants which allow him to see in the dark. Which is handy, since Pitch Black finds Riddick stranded on a planet destined to be in the dark for a while. And on this planet, baaaad things come out at night. In Pitch Black, it’s a race to get off-planet...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Really happy to get a fresh look at PB, this is my 3rd time reviewing it and I love it as much as I ever did. Let me know what you guys think!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love this movie as much as you and the 4K release definitely helps it. Except on my my LG UH658500. Many of the blacks go to blue. The blu ray didn’t do this. I’m sure it’s something with my calibration, but haven’t figured it out yet.

Of the coincidences, I think the biggest is their bad luck to land just before a complete eclipse. Others don’t some to mind. I thought the plot flowed along just fine. Of those who received career boosts, I can think only of Vin Disel. Keith David was an already an established actor, Rhada Mitchel I have not heard of since. Perhaps this is my failing in not recognizing what they’ve done since.

It’s a loaded release. Would that more were like it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not currently 4K capable and probably won't be anytime in the near future, but I enjoyed the review and it kind of makes me want to pull out my BD of Pitch Black and revisit this title. (I saw the film theatrically and have enjoyed it since that first viewing. I found the visuals and the aesthetic of the film to be very effective.) I am a sucker for survival stories and add some SF elements to the mix and that is pretty enjoyable combination for me.

- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I love this movie as much as you and the 4K release definitely helps it. Except on my my LG UH658500. Many of the blacks go to blue. The blu ray didn’t do this. I’m sure it’s something with my calibration, but haven’t figured it out yet.

Of the coincidences, I think the biggest is their bad luck to land just before a complete eclipse. Others don’t some to mind. I thought the plot flowed along just fine. Of those who received career boosts, I can think only of Vin Disel. Keith David was an already an established actor, Rhada Mitchel I have not heard of since. Perhaps this is my failing in not recognizing what they’ve done since.

It’s a loaded release. Would that more were like it.

Twohy, the cinematographer and other crew all credit the film for big career bumps in the making of.
Worst coincidence: crashing meters away from the only human camp anywhere on planet.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great review Sam. I agree I think it looks terrific and is a definite upgrade from the bluray.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Twohy, the cinematographer and other crew all credit the film for big career bumps in the making of.
Worst coincidence: crashing meters away from the only human camp anywhere on planet.
Well, you can add there’s a handy planet to crash on, but without that no movie. Then if you’re going to screw these guys with an eclipse right away, you gotta give some sort of break. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Sam. I've really liked this film from the first time I saw it on DVD, and I thought this 4K looked very good. I have not done any direct comparisons with the current BD, and I sold my old BD copy, but I am very satisfied with this release. I thought it looked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks