What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) (1 Viewer)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I saw it two times as well and it gets even better the second time. It helps you to see those little things that you didn't see the first time around.

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice if the sword that Will is stabbed with is the same as the one he made for Norrington in the first film? Beckett gives Norrington the sword earlier in AWE and then Davy Jones takes possesion of it after Norrington is killed. After watching AWE for a second time, I am pretty sure it is one and the same. If so, it would provide that scene with added poignancy and to quote Tia Dalma "a touch of destiny".

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yeah, the sword thing was pretty interesting. I'm personally bummed out that Norrington died since he somehow managed to be my favorite character (probably just 'cuz Jack Davenport starred in 'Coupling').

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally was able to see AWE last night. I like this third installment better than the second one. Bringing Barbossa back was a good move. Rush and Depp really play off against each other well. The scenes where the two of them appear are some of the best in the entire film. I also liked the turn the film took. It seemed a lot darker and more serious.....at least for the first half.

There were quite a few weaknesses. I thought the climactic action scene dragged on a little too long and the "wedding" right in the midst of it was just plain stupid. That whole wedding bit just left me rolling my eyes; although, considering later events, I can understand why they did it. I also thought the Calypso/Jones storyline unsatisfactorily concluded. In fact, IMO there was no conclusion. She just howls and explodes into a bunch of crabs and disappears, never to be seen again......except as a major storm front. Talk about giving an important story thread short shrift.

I also thought the dialogue was poorly recorded. There were plenty of times where dialogue couldn't be made out over all the background music and sound effects. I like authenticity but I also like to be able to hear what the actors are saying.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I also vehemently disliked the placement of the wedding. Might as well have Bugs Bunny join the fight at that point. I understand the later payoff by Barbossa (Mrs. Turner), but it's a lot to pay for that nice scene.

I guess my favorite "aside" in the film is Barbossa stinking the wooden eye in his mouth before sticking it back into Ragetti's socket. Just mean and spiteful. I loved it.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have no problem with the wedding scene. It's Pirates of the Caribbean. We've seen a three-way sword fight on a spinning water wheel. We've seen Jack flinging himself around on a spit to escape cannibals. So the scene was a bit ridiculous. But in the world that the first two movies established, it didn't really feel that outrageous to me.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste; I enjoyed the wedding scene and thought it livened up that last action set piece.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even like AWE that much, and I thought the wedding scene fit perfect. The two sequels are at their best when they're basically live action cartoons.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
How is this for kids? Is it like the other two or more intense? My 10 year old has seen one and two.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It follows pretty much the same tone as the second film, which I personally felt was darker than I had expected (in the opening prison scene we see a guy in a cage get his eyes ripped out by birds). AWE opens with a series of hangings (though not really graphic). Other than that, nothing else struck me as particularly intense but it's still fairly dark in tone like DMC.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
At least one of Chow's slave girl's takes a bullet to the forehead. Dude snaps off a frozen toe.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Sounds like it's along the same lines as the first two so, what the heck, I'm headed out to the cheap-o theater to catch this tonight.

Thanks guys!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
We saw it, and while I liked it better then the second that's not saying much.

It has no charm that the first film had, the cast was boring, the story was simple and the action, too much.

The two best parts of the film, having Barbosa back and seeing Keith Richards. I bet they didn't have to put too much makeup on that guy though.

...and that 10 year later ending....dumb and pointless!

I plan to double-dip for the Blu-ray on the first film but I won't for the second and I won't even bother buying this one at all.

A 4/10.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I finally got around to seeing this, with a so-so reaction, much like the second. All that effort to bring two great armadas together, and then it comes down to a fist fight (much like "The Postman"!).

The thing that struck me is, once Will dispatches Davy Jones, his dad cuts his heart out. Since Jones only did this ten years after taking command, and in response to Tia Dalma's rejection, it's not a prerequisite for captaincy.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Funny how a film's score can make one like the film better. This happened with Dead Man's Chest. In fact, it was the recent purchase of the DMC score and repeated playback that got me in the mood for another go round of At Worlds End a couple of weeks ago.

Have been out of town some this week and picked up the score for AWE. Another winner. I absolutely adore track #12 One Day. Lovely. That theme is felt in other tracks too. A very nice score that has me remembering the film in a better light. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks