What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
^Alright, I'm still confused. Was there not a 'green flash' on the horizon when Will returned to the Flying Dutchman after seeing Elizabeth after ten years? If so, and I'm seriously asking because I cannot remember, how is that 'green flash' any different from when he returns after the credits?

If there was no 'green flash' the first time (before the credits), then it makes sense. I just can't remember.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Seen it twice, and I'm almost certain that there was a green flash BEFORE the credits.

Again, it more satisfying thematically if the curse is NOT broken. I'll be happy to have my opinion and let others have theirs. I don't believe the movie offers sufficient evidence. And I don't care what wordplayer.com offers...it wasn't IN THE MOVIE :D

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I thought there was a green flash at the end before the credits.. and then another one after the close up the childs face.. you hear it and see a green glow then you see will.....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
slightly off topic, or maybe not.

how did norrington get the heart in the second film?
or is this covered in the third film.

just seemed out of no were that he had it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
At the end of one terrific action scene in DMC (the wheel thingie). He was recruited by Jack at Tortuga in DMC and was there when the Chest was unearthed. He managed to disappear with the heart thru a series of

As mentioned a few posts (pages?) ago, I have watched that scene several times, and it gets better every time. I pick up something new with every screening. It is a 5, perhaps 6-way action set piece depending on how you look at it. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that. No one scene is groundbreaking, it's more the way it all comes together that gets me. The direction, editing, and resulting logical progression. (and the score). Did I mention I really like that scene? :D

Also, I watched CotBP again, and it has dramatically (and finally) grown on me. Part of it is recognizing that the musical themes I love so much now were here from the beginning. And so are much of the character's backgrounds. Here again with every screening, I pick up something new (to the point where I wonder where mind my was when I was watching this stuff earlier).

Mostly, I think part 2 (and to a lesser extent 3) have actually made part 1 better. As I said earlier, go figure :).

--
H - ramblings -- sorry

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok, well i already sent it back to netflix, but all i remember is jack putting it into the bottle of sand.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but Norrington picks it up afterwards when he gets to the boat (with every one behind him conveniently busy fighting). They never actually show him picking it up, but they show him hastily removing his hand from his chest (under the shirt, mirroring Jack when he took the heart out of the Dead Man's Chest in the jungle) as if he had just put something there, when the others arrive. That is right before he offers himself as a diversion and draws Davy Jones minions away, allowing the others to escape with the lil' boat.

Hope this makes sense...

--
H

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
If it wasn't posted before can someone go into detail about what happens after the credits. I couldn't wait to dash after the length of this movie and, of course, the big gulp of soda.

I thought the green flash occurred as the pearl capsized after the sunset. There was a flash before the ocean, and gravity, pulled the pearl back to the surface into the sunrise.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have just come from another screening, and there is definitely a green flash when the Flying Dutchman leaves with Will right before the credits, and another green flash when he arrives post-credits.

Rewatching it really makes me wonder where this whole idea of "breaking the curse" would fit in. It doesn't make any sense in the film at present, which is constantly saying that "the Durchman needs a Captain", or "ten years at sea, one day on land, that's your curse". It may have been what the writers intended, but if so, it was a bad, inconsistent, confusing idea that would have forced an overly happy ending onto a sad rending. Whoever was responsible for deleting that line, it was a good call.

And I also kept an eye out for the cabin boy and the son, and I'm absolutely certain it's a different actor. The son looks several years younger than the cabin boy.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The writers intent may have been that the curse was broken, but I don't think that was the final intent of the filmmakers (dir and prods) and edit staff at all. I think the film doesn't present the possibility of the curse being broken very deliberately, because it takes away from the emotional impact of the resolution to the love story. a melancholy ending is much more sophisticated, and often more satisfying than a mere happily ever after. The ending the filmmakers used suggests (without dialogue) much more about love than a trite and wordy explanation about how 'love, true love' will break the curse.

But then, I prefer "Hey Jude" to "All You Need is Love" though both are great songs, I just think a "Hey Jude" ending is a much better choice even if the writers felt that an "All You Need is Love" finale is a better type of ending.

I've never really understood the interest behind the 'is Deckard a replicant' debate. If he is a replicant you can go, 'oooh spooky, that's deep, him being forced to hunt the one and only peer he might have)' and if he's not a replicant than you can go 'oooh spooky, the replicant has nearly achieved humanity and the human has nearly lost it and man's creation is ultimately as dystopic and soulless as mankind has become, our creations cannot transscend our own limitations, limitations which only increase as we grow more powerful and our technology becomes more encompassing and encapsulating. Both interpretations can be rewarding, and it's in the very complexity and ambiguity of Deckard's identity, and the melacholy aspect of the end that causes the film to achieve the impact it receives.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
1) I haven't ever given much thought to Deckard as a replicant. He might be, he might not...there is little evidence either way (though there is some). Blade Runner is full of those questions. AWE is not :)

2) Thanks for checking for that green flash, Matt. I will do the Mortal Kombat dance now ;)

3) When I say it isn't in the movie, I don't mean a literal or obvious trope. Just a little bit of evidence (a look, a visual cue, ANYTHING). AWE had no such information to indicate that the curse is broken.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Saw it again. And, yes, there was a flash before the credits.

I think the film has grown on me. It's rare that I see a movie in theaters and can't wait to see it again. A second viewing sure helps you digest the story and double crosses and I think the movie feels stronger now as well.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to save my second viewing of it for DVD or Blu-Ray because I don't think I could sit through it for 3 hrs. again at the theater. That's just a bit too long for me.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Just saw this.

F A N T A S T I C ! ! ! !

Great to have Barbossa back. That character, and the magic Geoffrey Rush brings to it, is what makes 1 & 3 better than 2.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, been soaking up the Dead Man's Chest score today and found myself in the mood for a Pirates film. Chuck stated how his second viewing of At World's End improved and there are some here who are also fond of that score. After going opening night I had a bad taste in my mouth. Didn't hate it....but felt extremely disappointed.

I was even stating that any second viewing would be on dvd. I lied.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

I enjoyed it more the second time. Yes, the problems are still there. Can't hide that and some of them still stick out rather big. But what did improve for me were the good moments. The really good ones got even better and had more meaning for me tonight. That also makes for even more regret in that At Worlds End really did have the potential to be the best in the series.

Still don't care for the way the Jones/Calypso thing went down and still think the multiple Jacks just fell flat. And Shipwreck Cove remains a letdown except for Keith Richard.

But what I loved was the first 30 minutes. Really was first rate until we first see Jack. The final hour is pretty strong for the most part and this is the change from opening night: I found myself caring for the main characters again and wanted good things to happen. I was engaged in their plight despite a long time to get there. I also love the ballsy ending. I really do. I did catch more of the foreshadowing from Calypso to Will this time....

James Berardinelli writes:

I think that sums up alot of what I feel. The bad is not so bad but the really good stuff can't overcome it all though.

Still, a more enjoyable second go round. :) The score is extremely solid and effective. I'll be picking this one up too.

I stayed for the entire credits and loved that extra moment. Pretty special.

Increasing my score to 7.5/10. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks