What's new

Pioneer's new THX Ultra 2 Receiver with RTA onboard for $4200- (1 Viewer)

Spero D

Second Unit

Looks like some nice features. Just hope it sounds good to :)
http://www.audiophilenews.com/conten...e_Receiver.htm
I like the following-
quote: The VSX-49TX and VSX-47TX also provide a Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit (MCACC) for optimum acoustic accuracy in multi-channel sound reproduction. The calibration system works by measuring the acoustic characteristics of the listening area and neutralizing the ambient characteristics that can gcolorh the original source material. First the MCCAC uses the microphone provided to check and test ambient noise levels, the microphone, and speaker level. Once the initial set-up calibration is complete the system automatically confirms size of the speakers that are hooked up to the receiver and distance to the listener, then performs a surround analysis. Finally, MCACC checks the channel delay and channel level, processes the information then performs the acoustic calibration. During the acoustic calibration process, the speakers will emit a series pink noise and timing pulses that are received by the microphone and sent to a 9-band digital equalizer for final calibration of up to seven channels. The VSX-49TX provides an advanced MCACC offering all-channel 96/24 A/D conversion and allows for manual settings enabling the user to make the automatic calibration settings determined by the process.[/quote]
And
quote: Pioneer Advanced Video Conversion (VSX-49TX)[/quote]
Which I presume may output all video signals wether they be composite or S-Video to Component.
What I don't like-
quote: manufacturerfs suggested retail price of $4,200[/quote]
Wonder more importantly about how it sounds.
From the Japanese Press Release using bablefish-
quote: * Reference material * technical explanation *
< Merit of THX ULTRA2 >
The " THX ULTRA2 " is the highest standard of the foam/home THX system to which the Lucas film corporation lectures, the " THX ULTRA " in order that it corresponds to the up-to-date digital source, it is standard of the up-to-date version which was reformed.
As for main merit, in former THX cinema mode adding,
(1) The ASA (the Advanced Speaker Array) you adopted technology for speech processing of the ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒh ch and the ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒhƒoƒbƒN ch anew, corresponded to the playback contents respectively the " THX ULTRA2 CINEMA " and the " THX MUSICMODE " and so on, 7. Loading the ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒhƒ‚[ƒh which corresponds to 1ch speaker arrangement.
(2) The instant it is low improvement of power source supply capacity to load and dynamic range enlargement of the power amplifier.
(3) The wall surface interference which becomes problem the occasion where the sub woofer which is played back is used is held down to the ultralow limits, addition of " boundary * gain * compensation function ".
(4) High picture quality of the HDTV and the progressive DVD et cetera it has become in the various aspects the design which such as the video switching function which corresponds to image exceeds the former " THX ULTRA ".
< DTS96 / merit of 24 formats >
The DTS corporation * 8 developed " the DTS96 / 24 " as for the format, with the compressed ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒhƒtƒH[ƒ}ƒbƒg for the first time to to be the technology which corresponds " the 96kHz / the 24bit ", it is produced at the up-to-date sound recording studio, the multiple * channel treble quality software, it is the epoch-making technology which is made reproducible with the usual DVD videoplayer.
As for main merit, (1) It is utilized at the up-to-date sound recording studio, the ƒnƒCƒNƒIƒŠƒeƒB[ which reproduces the sound source of the master tape " of the 96kHz / the 24bit ", to bare fact the sound quality.
(2) Even with the former DTS decoder built-in equipment playback is possible with the same sound quality as the usual DTS software the AV amplifier which loads the former DTS decoder / by the full compatible actualization of the DVD player.
(3) The DTS96 / corresponds to 24 with the digital connection with the AV amplifier which, so far has been used the DVD player who (the DTS digital out on-board model) with, the DTS96 / ƒnƒCƒNƒHƒŠƒeƒB[ sound of 24 reproducible.
(4) Although being the compressed audio format, without impairing the high picture quality of the DVD video format with the merit, treble quality, the 96kHz / the 24bit / 5. It actualizes the treble quality multichannel sound of the 1ch. With DVD audio and the treble quality which is approached to the SACD, the movie of DVD video and enjoying music become possible.[/quote]
Spero D.
[Edited last by Spero D on September 10, 2001 at 06:43 AM]

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
smiley_jawdrop.gif
THX-2
smiley_jawdrop.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
This type of technology does indeed seem like the future. However, a nine band EQ sounds kind of limited. I would hope that they mean nine different parametric eq adjustments with variable frequency settings, but I doubt it.
It sounds similar to the Perpetual Technologies room correction software. The thing I like about this receiver as opposed to the PT unit is that it can make the adjustments itself, with out having to have some tech change your "corrections" every time you change your room layout.
I can see it now.
Wife: "Shade, lets go buy this large rug to put over our wood flooring in the living room, I know where to get a good price."
Me: "Don't forget to add $400 for the room correction update!"

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad that we finally got the specs on Pioneer Elite's new flagship receiver. I've been waiting on this one. It looks from the specs like it's the best one out. I'm glad they also included Dolby Prologic II on it. At 160W x 7 it should run my speakers nicely. And I finally will have DTS ES Discrete. I hope they continue to release DVDs with the DTS ES Discrete soundtracks.
Also the microphone that does the autoset is a nice feature. It will be interesting to see how the THX Ultra II will differ from the original THX Ultra settings. I was hoping for a lower price though.(around $3500 would have been good)
Any chance they might include the rosewood panels on the side?

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
quote: Any chance they might include the rosewood panels on the side?[/quote]
You know, I was thinking on that. I'm guessing the 49TX will be the same width as the 39TX but without the rosewood panels.
quote: I'm glad they also included Dolby Prologic II on it. At 160W x 7 it should run my speakers nicely. And I finally will have DTS ES Discrete.[/quote]
And don't forget about DTS 96/24 Processing Technology!! Its also included!!
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Evelio Figueroa on September 09, 2001 at 05:08 PM]

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
You know, I was thinking on that. I'm guessing the 49TX will be the same width as the 39TX but without the rosewood panels.
The standard width is 420mm on all Pioneer products. Models with sidewood panels measure 457mm (Width). The VSA-AX10 is 440mm for the width. (See the URL below) Its only 17mm short of 457mm. Maybe there is room for sidewood panels.
Oh, and the depth is 476mm for the VSA-AX10. That means it will fit inside my rack because the VSX-39TX's depth is 470mm. :)
http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release269-j.html

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Any word that the amp section finally have some "guts" unlike previous Elite models?
I guess I have to wait for the real world reviews and measurments.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks