Pioneer VSX-D912 - What Am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I saw this in another thread here but I didn't want to take that thread off topic so I've opened this new one.
    MSRP of $475 seems awfully cheap to have all of these things and you can verify this information at Pioneer's site here
    What am I missing in all this? I was considering the H/K 520 but will be glad to wait for this if it's true. What are others' feelings around this unit?
    Thanx,
    Lin

2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Sounds interesting............but I'm a Yamaha man.
    [​IMG]

3. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Ah, so what does Yamaha offer for $475 these days?

4. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

This sounds a lot like the current 811. Upgrades from the 811 I think are the Motorola DSP (I think the 811 uses Crystal?) and the Pioneer auto-calibration feature MCACC. I don't see anything else in the list you posted that is different, although there may be more. I also believe the 811 MSRP is $475, but was normally sold for $399. The 912 appears to be filling that price point. That must be why all the deals have been showing up on the 811.

Oh, and another 10w per channel.

5. David G Greene

Lin Park I was just joking. [​IMG]
    I'm really thinking aboout getting a Pioneer.
    I'm not sure though. Should I wait for the 912 or just buy the 811S?
    [​IMG]

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    If you can snag an 811 for a good deal when it starts to close out at BB etc. I'd say get one.

I'm very happy with my 811.

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It all depends on the weight for me! I can't find the weight spec of the VSX-D912 but if it is not over 35lbs they still need to address the amp section.

Wes

8. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Would the Motorola DSP in the 912 be an advantage over the Crystal DSP in the 811?

9. David G Greene

BUMP!!!!!
    I thought that
    Crystal DSP was better than Motorola DSP. Onkyo use to use Motorola DSP. Rotel & Sherwwod use Crystal I know for sure.
    [​IMG]

10. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I see they use Motorola DSP's in the higher-end Elite receivers. Maybe Motorola cut them a deal by going with them across their line-up and it enabled them to use Motorola in the "consumer" level models, too. I would still like to know if they are any better than the Crystal DSP's.

11. Darin J

Darin J Extra

I asked Pioneer if any of the new VSX receivers will have on screen display or video up conversion (composite to S-video, composite and S-video to component), and what the video bandwidth will be.

They replied that only the Elite Receivers have the on-screen operation and set up, plus the HDTV bandwidth. The VSX frequency response for component video section is 5Hz to 40MHz.

12. David G Greene

13. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Darin J,

So you are saying that the VSX line doesn't truly accomodate HD component signals? This is one of the main reasons I was considering this line. So if I had a Samsung SIR-T151 and an RP-91 and wanted to hook those to my 56" HD-Ready WS Panasonic with only one set of component inputs, I might not be getting as good a quality signal as a direct connection?

Thanx,
    Lin

14. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Lin,

Man, you should have bought one of these VSX-D908S rigs from last year. Now, if you want the Burr Brown D/A Converter in a Pioneer, you have to either get a VSX-49TX ($4,200) or a TXi ($4,500). It also has the on-screen display.

Well, actually, I think I saw that etronics.com still has some for sell for under $500. Alas, it doesn't have component video connections. Nor did it have the guts to drive my 4-ohm Thiels - fortunately it has preouts for all channels.

On a side note, KORA is now building me a 3rd preamp. The second one is lost somewhere in New York (at your house maybe???). This 3rd one is due to arrive at the end of next week (I'm not holding my breath).

I'll give you a call at work,

Kevin

15. David G Greene

I would still like to know if the Double precision 8-bit Motorola DSP is any better than the Crystal DSP's.

Anybody know?

16. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

17. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Costco raised the price on the HK 325 by $50! Damn, I was thinking about ordering one.

18. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Yeah I saw that and it does suck, but don't let 50 bucks hold ya back.