What's new

Pioneer VSX-D912 - What Am I Missing? (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I saw this in another thread here but I didn't want to take that thread off topic so I've opened this new one.
MSRP of $475 seems awfully cheap to have all of these things and you can verify this information at Pioneer's site here
What am I missing in all this? I was considering the H/K 520 but will be glad to wait for this if it's true. What are others' feelings around this unit?
Thanx,
Lin

SeanDM

Agent
This sounds a lot like the current 811. Upgrades from the 811 I think are the Motorola DSP (I think the 811 uses Crystal?) and the Pioneer auto-calibration feature MCACC. I don't see anything else in the list you posted that is different, although there may be more. I also believe the 811 MSRP is $475, but was normally sold for $399. The 912 appears to be filling that price point. That must be why all the deals have been showing up on the 811.

Oh, and another 10w per channel.

David G Greene

Stunt Coordinator
Lin Park I was just joking. :P
I'm really thinking aboout getting a Pioneer.
I'm not sure though. Should I wait for the 912 or just buy the 811S?
:)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If you can snag an 811 for a good deal when it starts to close out at BB etc. I'd say get one.

I'm very happy with my 811.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
It all depends on the weight for me! I can't find the weight spec of the VSX-D912 but if it is not over 35lbs they still need to address the amp section.

Wes

David G Greene

Stunt Coordinator
BUMP!!!!!
I thought that
Crystal DSP was better than Motorola DSP. Onkyo use to use Motorola DSP. Rotel & Sherwwod use Crystal I know for sure.
:D

SeanDM

Agent
I see they use Motorola DSP's in the higher-end Elite receivers. Maybe Motorola cut them a deal by going with them across their line-up and it enabled them to use Motorola in the "consumer" level models, too. I would still like to know if they are any better than the Crystal DSP's.

Darin J

Grip
I asked Pioneer if any of the new VSX receivers will have on screen display or video up conversion (composite to S-video, composite and S-video to component), and what the video bandwidth will be.

They replied that only the Elite Receivers have the on-screen operation and set up, plus the HDTV bandwidth. The VSX frequency response for component video section is 5Hz to 40MHz.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Darin J,

So you are saying that the VSX line doesn't truly accomodate HD component signals? This is one of the main reasons I was considering this line. So if I had a Samsung SIR-T151 and an RP-91 and wanted to hook those to my 56" HD-Ready WS Panasonic with only one set of component inputs, I might not be getting as good a quality signal as a direct connection?

Thanx,
Lin

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Lin,

Man, you should have bought one of these VSX-D908S rigs from last year. Now, if you want the Burr Brown D/A Converter in a Pioneer, you have to either get a VSX-49TX ($4,200) or a TXi ($4,500). It also has the on-screen display.

Well, actually, I think I saw that etronics.com still has some for sell for under $500. Alas, it doesn't have component video connections. Nor did it have the guts to drive my 4-ohm Thiels - fortunately it has preouts for all channels.

On a side note, KORA is now building me a 3rd preamp. The second one is lost somewhere in New York (at your house maybe???). This 3rd one is due to arrive at the end of next week (I'm not holding my breath).

I'll give you a call at work,

Kevin

David G Greene

Stunt Coordinator
I would still like to know if the Double precision 8-bit Motorola DSP is any better than the Crystal DSP's.

Anybody know?

DonJ

Second Unit
What am I missing in all this? I was considering the H/K 520 but will be glad to wait for this if it's true. What are others' feelings around this unit?
IMO a lot I done a head to head with the standard VSX line and the HK x20 line and the differences were large and glaring. The biggest difference between them were the amps, the Pioneer played louder but it was so distorted I could even tell what I was listening to and the HK keeps singing right to it's limits. IMHO the HK is well worth the extra cash.
Costco.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks