What's new

Pioneer VSX-D850S vs. D811S and speakers... (1 Viewer)

JeffreyG

Agent
I am new to HT and my wife has given me permission to look

I was looking at these 2 recievers. I can get the 850 for $257 and a open box D811 for $299. What is the difference and the better buy?

Also, I was looking for a inexpensive satellite speaker system...was looking at JBL 150 set up...any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

George Tong

Auditioning
Jeffrey,
I am actually in the same dilemma you are in. I'm just starting my first HT system.
To answer your question in regards to what receiver. From looking at the specs on the 850 and the 811 , I say both receivers are basically the same with a few differences. I personally went with the 850. I know it's currently going out the door, but I would say thats a pretty good price on a fairly nice receiver. I'm usually hesitant on purchasing big OB items at stores, you don't know for what reason it was returned.
I can't comment on the JBL's that you mentioned since I haven't listened to them.

AdamO

Grip
I own the VSX-D811S and am very satisfied with it. Within the $300-400 price range you can’t find a better receiver. The major difference I see between the VSX-850S and VSX-D811S is 6.1 and some of the other single processing (The VSX-805S is already out of date without 6.1 decoding).
VSX-D811S:
* Crystal Digital Signal Processing
* DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Decoding
* DTS NEO 6: Music & Cinema Surround Decoding
* Dolby Digital EX 6.1 Surround Decoding
* Pro-Logic II Music & Movie Surround Decoding
* 96kHz/24-Bit Digital to Analog Conversion
* 5 Advanced Surround Modes
* Expanded 6.1
* 6-Channel Stereo
* Music
* Movie
* Virtual Surround Back
* Midnight Mode
VSX-850S:
* Crystal and AK Digital Signal Processing
* DTS 5.1
* Dolby Digital
* Pro-Logic Surround Decoding
* DTS/ES Compatible
* 6 Acoustic Environment DSP's
* Hall 1
* Hall 2
* Jazz
* Dance
* Theater 1
* Theater 2
* 5/6-Channel Stereo
* Advanced Theater Modes
* Drama
* Musical
* Action
* 6-D/5-D Theater
* Midnight Mode
* 96kHz/24-Bit Digital to Analog Conversion
* Digital Noise Reduction (All Channels)
You should be able to find the VSX-D811S BRAND NEW for around $320 with shipping. Try searching on some of the price comparison sites such as pricegrabber.com. Pricegrabber.com alone has 5 retail stores selling it for under $300 + shipping.

JeffreyG

Agent
Thanks...that is good to know. I just assumed the 850 had 6.1. I am leaning strongly to either the 811 or the Onkyo 600. Just need to find some inexpensive speakers also. I was looking at the Pioneer HTIB system, 720 I think, (I know, HTIB isn't the best way). It has DVD player, the 811s and speakers for about $550.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Being new to HT, and not having the space yet for 6 or 7 speakers, I went with the VSX-D711. I got it for less than 250 and with a free set of surround speakers and a center channel which I sold right away, I made out with one hell of a reciever for a very good price. I figured, I could shop for the future, but then realized, I would not really appreciate the difference from 5.1 to 6.1 since I was listening to stereo before, and in the future, I would prolly want something in a higher price range anyway. Let me tell you. This is also one hell of a reciever. I use my old stereo amp now as a sub amp, and have been loving movies even more since getting it. My .02 since no one seems to praise the very similar 711 while the 811 relishes in it.

chiante

Agent
the 850s does decode ddex, it's just not in the manual due to some legal issues at the time with d-labs and lucas. it does decode 6.1 dts matrix and does have speaker outs for a surround back which has its' on amp.it is a 6.1 receiver. i have one with the surround back hooked up and it decodes dts-es matrix on gladiator, and ddex on t2 the ultimate edition just fine. it doesn't have dts-discrete, plII, or dts neo, but does have a learning remote with a lcd screen.http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/equ...p?ArticleID=62

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks