Pioneer VSX-D850S vs. D811S and speakers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffreyG, Jul 13, 2002.

1. JeffreyG

JeffreyG Agent

I am new to HT and my wife has given me permission to look [​IMG]
    I was looking at these 2 recievers. I can get the 850 for $257 and a open box D811 for $299. What is the difference and the better buy?
    Also, I was looking for a inexpensive satellite speaker system...was looking at JBL 150 set up...any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I prefer the 850 over the 811. And Jand R.com has the JBL NSP-1 set for $199 delivered, I believe. Great entry level stuff. Then you could pick up a JBL PB10 sub or even cheaper the Sony SA-WM40 and stuff it with polyfill.

I know there's a big Wife Acceptance Factor that goes into these things but I think you'll appreciate the NSP1 speaker set better than the 150 set.

Good Luck.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jeff, do you have a specific budget in mind for either receiver or speaker purchases?

The 850S is last year's model and pretty comparable to the 811S which is a 2002 model. I have the 811S and it performs quite well for a budget receiver. Probably the biggest difference is 811S's inclusion of DPL II, and DD-EX as well as DTS-ES both Matrix and Discrete. I believe the 850S does have a 6th channel but it uses a proprietary DSP algorithm to extract the matrixed 6th channel. I would personally shy away from buying anything "open box". I have not had good luck in that area. If you watch a lot of stereo VHS or stereo tv programming, then DPL II is a definite improvement over DPL so I'd recommend picking up a new 811S. At the $400-500 price point there are other receivers to consider as well such as the Onkyo SR600, Marantz 5200, and the Yamaha HTR-5560. Do a search for "budget receiver" in this forum. Also, in a recent Sound and Vision magazine, a budget Panasonic receiver got a very good review. I can't recall the model number though.

As for speakers, I would concur with Paul's comments on the JBL NSP1 package and an inexpensive sub to go with it. I don't own them but they seem to get high praise from most in this forum. Another package to look at but a little more pricy would be the Energy Take 5.2 speaker package.

good luck,

--tom

4. JeffreyG

JeffreyG Agent

Thanks for responding...
    My wife really likes the small speakers, but I will certainly look at the JBL's your recommending.
    I like the price I can get the 850 for $257. The 811s seems very similar except for a small wattage difference and the inclusion of Dolby II on the 811s. I can get 811s from Best Buy as an open box, but not sure about getting an open box. All this is confusing, but the Pioneer seems to give you alot for the $$$. Is the Dolby II really that important if you watch TV (Have DirectTV)? I really appreciate the advice...the wife window will only be a short while, so I need to jump on the opportunity [​IMG]

5. JeffreyG

JeffreyG Agent

Any thoughts on the Pioneer HTP-720DV Box system? I know the HTIB isn't always the way to go, but it does include the 811s and some decent looking speakers...

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Depends. HTIB is not big around here obviously. But it can certainly be of help with the WAF. What can you get it for?
    I assume you don't already have a DVD player. HTIB is usually good for small spaces and/or apartment settings. If you feel this is the kind of system you are likely to have for a long while, all I can say is I would really want to like the sound from those speakers.

7. JeffreyG

JeffreyG Agent

Thanks for responding Paul...

I can get the HTP-720DV for around $550 shipped. I have a first generation Pioneer DVD player, but getting a new one would be kind of nice. I am putting the system in our Bonus room which is decent size, but not huge. I keep reading that Dolby II is pretty important for music so 811s is looking better than 850s right now (I think). Although I don't really want to get the open box one, it is a decent deal at $299.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jeff, I know the wife window may be short [​IMG] but I feel you don't want to rush out and just buy anything especially the speakers. Anyhow, many have gotten a new 811S on-line between $300-350 shipped so perhaps you want to go that route. I don't have experience with the Pioneer HTIBs but I think such things can be good starting points with the most likely thing you'll be upgrading is the speakers. It looks like that package model includes the 811S, a dvd player, and 6 speakers + sub. The speakers look rather weak though, at least with their frequency response of 150Hz to 20Khz. I think with a little more investment of time and possibly a little more $$$, you can get an 811S, a dvd player plus speakers that will perform much better than the box set.
    good luck,
    --tom